Any 'old truckers ' out there??

-

ChazRam

1964 Valiant V200
Reaction score
Just celebrating my 37th year. Been to alot of places and driven about every type of truck made. My experience goes way back and I spotted something or I should say heard something kind of strange while watching an old truck movie. I found "Convoy" on Comcast free movies and for a chuckle turned it on. Now back in the mid eighties I bought a brand new Mack R686ST. 205 inch wheelbase with a 36 inch sleeper. It was all mack. 300 plus / maxitorque 9 speed and mack rears with taperleaf suspension. Put alot of miles on that rig. Something caught me by surprise while watching that late 70s Mack 688 Valueliner in the movie. On some scenes like close ups when the truck was being started up clearly it was a Mack motor. On the very first scene when he is cruising in the desert checking out the seatcovers in that Jaguar that motor whine is absolutely not a Mack but a 318 Detroit. Drove enough of them to remember that high pitched whine from the higher rpms that the Mack does not have. Funny thing is there is a couple of Brockways in the movie and they did make an R model Brockway and most all of them came with Detroits, some with Cummins. I wondered if the took a Brockway and stripped the crappy looking clip off the front and stuck an R model hood on it and made it look like a Mack. It just hit me as kind of strange as the original Rubber Duck has been restored and I saw it in a book and it was all Mack I know I have way too much time on my hands if I am thinking about this petty nonsense but I just thought it was strange!!

Its cool you can pick things out like that. Takes experience to know the differences. And in the movie the sounds you hear may not be what you see either. Real trucks different sound, why? Its Hollywood.

i concur with 73 rb ive been drivin 24 yrs myself and convoy is one of my all time favorites.what you heard was probably just a sound bite imposed onto that scene,they just wanted the right sound .

You guys might be right. I watched it again for sh&%s and giggles and I think its real time sound. There are a bunch of scenes when the truck is running and I am not quite shure that is dubbed in. Anyhow the part of that movie that almost brings me to tears from laughing is the very end when 'Dirty Lyle" is cracking up at the so called funeral for The Duck. Yeah, its a great movie. Just watched another truck flick last night and as a bonus there is a Mopar in it. "Duel" with Dennis Weaver in a Red 71 Valiant being chased all over and stalked by a very old Diamond Reo. This was Steven Speilbergs first movie and it is crazy. I would love to have that truck to restore!!

-
Back