Any one know a great place to get a deal on drums?

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
Allright gentleman, I need a lead (again)

My boy is looking to buy his first drumkit
(He's been playing on my electronic alesis kit)

We did some looking around and he's got his heart set on a tama imperialstar in the hairline blue

For some reason he also wants the paiste colorsound cymbals in blue AND he wants a double bass pedal

That's a 900 dollar kit, with 600 dollars worth of cymbals and 200 dollars worth of pedal on a 1000.00 dollar budget

I'm sure you see my problem here

The best I can find on the kit is 800 for a brand new set

(And this may just be the best deal out there)

But I thought I would ask you guys if you have any leads I can pursue?

(There is one used set in Iowa, I believe, I got to talk to the manager on Tuesday to see if he can come down to a price that works for us)

I thought you were asking about Brake drums! :lol: :lol: :lol:
in the general forum, when we have an entire section dedicated to brakes?
i wouldnt dare

besides, i dont like brakes, all they do is add weight and slow you down

(i will say this, when looking for a "drum hardware kit" i wanted boom stands and the likes and saw more brake parts then i cared for)

in the general forum, when we have an entire section dedicated to brakes?
i wouldnt dare

besides, i dont like brakes, all they do is add weight and slow you down

(i will say this, when looking for a "drum hardware kit" i wanted boom stands and the likes and saw more brake parts then i cared for)
:rofl: :rofl:

Did you check on Reverb or Sweetwater? Tama Imperialstar IE52C 5-piece Complete Drum Set with Snare Drum and Meinl Cymbals - Hairline Blue

We did some looking around and he's got his heart set on a tama imperialstar in the hairline blue

For some reason he also wants the paiste colorsound cymbals in blue AND he wants a double bass pedal

That's a 900 dollar kit, with 600 dollars worth of cymbals and 200 dollars worth of pedal on a 1000.00 dollar budget

(There is one used set in Iowa, I believe, I got to talk to the manager on Tuesday to see if he can come down to a price that works for us)

Let me ask my son Creed, he is sponsored threw Gretch, but has knowledge on drums.
I will let him know you are in Michigan and if there are any good deals on Tama kits.
Myself love the pearl kits, but thats from my old day :lol:

Let me ask my son Creed, he is sponsored threw Gretch, but has knowledge on drums.
I will let him know you are in Michigan and if there are any good deals on Tama kits.
Myself love the pearl kits, but thats from my old day :lol:
Awesome, thanks

I still got an old pearl export stashed away in my parents attic, but that's 5000 miles from here

I tried not to steer him too much on what to get, but you really can't go wrong with tama

Yes sir. That is the exact same kit he wants

I have found 4 of them on reverb, one is the new one going for 800, one is a used one, listed for 389 but im hoping to get for 300 and two I contacted but never heard back from
Sounds like you are on the right track.

I say save till he gets what he wants.
My son is a Music/Business major from UF.

He wanted a Bach Stradivarius Trumpet , new, @ $3600.
The recession hit, we bought it for
$1800 brand new
Keep looking a great deal may be just around the corner

Awesome, thanks

I still got an old pearl export stashed away in my parents attic, but that's 5000 miles from here

I tried not to steer him too much on what to get, but you really can't go wrong with tama
These are some great old Pearl's, wood and If I remember right, 1974 models

16907333351031982557083778375274.jpg

I say save till he gets what he wants.
My son is a Music/Business major from UF.

He wanted a Bach Stradivarius Trumpet , new, @ $3600.
The recession hit, we bought it for
$1800 brand new
Keep looking a great deal may be just around the corner

the thing is, what he wants is not offered in a kit

so the options are, getting a shell kit, adding the hardware, the cymbals he wants, and the pedal he wants
or buying a whole kit, and then replacing the cymbals as he goes, and adding the pedal

what will most likely happen is that we end up going with option 2 and he can switch out the cymbals as he makes more money

Well, I talked to my son and he wished he could help, these sets are getting outrageous in price, he said to get what you want the first time, add to them and never look at another set, he made that mistake about 12 years ago, and he wished your son many great hours and years of enjoyment to him, we drummer's can enjoy this threw out all of our lives.

Well, I talked to my son and he wished he could help, these sets are getting outrageous in price, he said to get what you want the first time, add to them and never look at another set, he made that mistake about 12 years ago, and he wished your son many great hours and years of enjoyment to him, we drummer's can enjoy this threw out all of our lives.
Be sure to thank him for his time

I got one call to make tomorrow, hopefully I can get a killer deal on a shell kit and then I can piece everything else together and come in at budget

(But I need 3 different vendors to cut me a deal...not very likely)

If that doesn't work, we're probably getting a brand new full set and he can add the Cymbals he wants as he makes more money

The nice thing about that option is that we're starting off with tama hardware so that should last him a few decades

• Look for used kits online. There are a number of websites where you can find used drumsets, including Craigslist, eBay, and Reverb. You can often find great deals on used kits, especially if you're willing to be patient and do some searching.
  • Check with local music stores. Many music stores sell used drumsets, and they may be willing to negotiate on the price. You can also ask the store if they know of any other places where you can find used drumsets.
  • Consider buying a different kit. If you're not able to find a used Tama Imperialstar in the hairline blue, you may want to consider buying a different kit. There are a number of other great kits available, and you may be able to find one that fits your budget.

Buy used if you can.... drums don't ever go bad unless there is physical dmg... and you will pay 1/3.. Imperial stars are decent drums he will be happy. Paiste Cymbals are usually bout $600-1k each new for decent ones.. 600 for at least 3 will be pretty bad, honestly the drums don't matter, you can tune anything to sound good. Cymbals are everything.. I use Istanbul cymbals myself. you can get a very good pedal for $100 or find a used DW5000 for new i would get a Tama HP30 they are under 100..

Most important thing is hearing protection! Don't ever let him hit the drums even once without protection... vic frith headphoens are the go-to.. i use GK ultraphones which are expensive but i like having hearing. My drums hit 110db easily and i'm 1' away from them.. don't let him **** up his hearing. I still play 2-4 hours every night after work.. love the drums :)

My setup is my drums in the basement (producers blankets all around the walls to kill reverb/slapback which will give insane headaches in short time..) i use a projector to shoot youtube or drumeo lessons on the wall about 10' in front of me and DRUMMER headphones to listen.. it will make learning way more fun and keep him from being bored.

I see he already plays.. so he will be into it.. so no biggy.. i just know how i am about things and usually quit a few days in :)

I hope he has fun... i played guitar for 30 years and then switched to drums.. i wish i had never touched a guitar.. drums are soo much more fun and a blast to learn. :)

Also.. i would get him a year sub at Drumeo... Drumeo is AMAZING and helped me so much when i started and kept me from getting bored.. my setup

Buy used if you can! that's all :)

BTW.. if you can get him a DW Design series for cheap used snatch it up... (should be 800ish or less) I had a kit and while i don't love DW that kit is amazing for the money and tunes properly will blow away $2500 kits...

• Look for used kits online. There are a number of websites where you can find used drumsets, including Craigslist, eBay, and Reverb. You can often find great deals on used kits, especially if you're willing to be patient and do some searching.
  • Check with local music stores. Many music stores sell used drumsets, and they may be willing to negotiate on the price. You can also ask the store if they know of any other places where you can find used drumsets.
  • Consider buying a different kit. If you're not able to find a used Tama Imperialstar in the hairline blue, you may want to consider buying a different kit. There are a number of other great kits available, and you may be able to find one that fits your budget.
I started off with the local (and not so local) Craigslist, none of that panned out

So far, i have been to every music store within an hour radius and also nothing

I do want to stay with the imperialstar kit, buy it once and he'll be ser for life

View attachment 1716121855 Used .... @ Guitar Center Des Moines

thats the uaed kit i mentioned in post one
i talked to thier drum guy and he coulsldnt budge on the price but he said his manager could (no guarantee that he will though)
i will be calling him today

Buy used if you can.... drums don't ever go bad unless there is physical dmg... and you will pay 1/3.. Imperial stars are decent drums he will be happy. Paiste Cymbals are usually bout $600-1k each new for decent ones.. 600 for at least 3 will be pretty bad, honestly the drums don't matter, you can tune anything to sound good. Cymbals are everything.. I use Istanbul cymbals myself. you can get a very good pedal for $100 or find a used DW5000 for new i would get a Tama HP30 they are under 100..

Most important thing is hearing protection! Don't ever let him hit the drums even once without protection... vic frith headphoens are the go-to.. i use GK ultraphones which are expensive but i like having hearing. My drums hit 110db easily and i'm 1' away from them.. don't let him **** up his hearing. I still play 2-4 hours every night after work.. love the drums :)

My setup is my drums in the basement (producers blankets all around the walls to kill reverb/slapback which will give insane headaches in short time..) i use a projector to shoot youtube or drumeo lessons on the wall about 10' in front of me and DRUMMER headphones to listen.. it will make learning way more fun and keep him from being bored.

I see he already plays.. so he will be into it.. so no biggy.. i just know how i am about things and usually quit a few days in :)

I hope he has fun... i played guitar for 30 years and then switched to drums.. i wish i had never touched a guitar.. drums are soo much more fun and a blast to learn. :)

Also.. i would get him a year sub at Drumeo... Drumeo is AMAZING and helped me so much when i started and kept me from getting bored.. my setup

Buy used if you can! that's all :)
Yeah, no kidding on the hearing protection
I played drums myself for a while, rode dirtbikes and worked in machine shops

never wore em and now looking back i can say that was a stupid move

the drumeo vidoes are pretty cool
we watched some of thier free ones and they would probably be a good investment

BTW.. if you can get him a DW Design series for cheap used snatch it up... (should be 800ish or less) I had a kit and while i don't love DW that kit is amazing for the money and tunes properly will blow away $2500 kits...
I tried not to steer him too much but he's picked up on my dislike for the DW brand

I had a set of pacific drums that were garbage once and that kinda tainted my view on DW, and I think he picked up on that

I started off with the local (and not so local) Craigslist, none of that panned out

So far, i have been to every music store within an hour radius and also nothing

I do want to stay with the imperialstar kit, buy it once and he'll be ser for life

thats the uaed kit i mentioned in post one
i talked to thier drum guy and he coulsldnt budge on the price but he said his manager could (no guarantee that he will though)
i will be calling him today

Yeah, no kidding on the hearing protection
I played drums myself for a while, rode dirtbikes and worked in machine shops

never wore em and now looking back i can say that was a stupid move

the drumeo vidoes are pretty cool
we watched some of thier free ones and they would probably be a good investment

I tried not to steer him too much but he's picked up on my dislike for the DW brand

I had a set of pacific drums that were garbage once and that kinda tainted my view on DW, and I think he picked up on that

Here ya go... $350 not sure how many pieces he's looking for... but this is a good deal...

This is a really good deal on much better drums though if in decent shape..

I picked up a set of 70s Ludwigs when my son started playing they sounded good too. I'm ready to set the back up I have a Centennial Zepset set up now... but those drums are a big...

Here ya go... $350 not sure how many pieces he's looking for... but this is a good deal...
[/URL]

This is a really good deal on much better drums though if in decent shape..
[/URL]
thanks brother, he is dead set on the hairline blue

that first kit is pretty cool, but i just talked to the guy in iowa, he wants 400 shipped for the 6 piece set
i can almost make that work with the cheapest hardware i can find and the cymbals he wants

im not sure it that is worth it or not, because im sure the hardware tama comes with is better

im still waiting to hear back from one of the local shops, maybe that will pan out

thanks brother, he is dead set on the hairline blue

that first kit is pretty cool, but i just talked to the guy in iowa, he wants 400 shipped for the 6 piece set
i can almost make that work with the cheapest hardware i can find and the cymbals he wants

im not sure it that is worth it or not, because im sure the hardware tama comes with is better

im still waiting to hear back from one of the local shops, maybe that will pan out
Tama makes great hardware... but i used a lot of PDP or gibralter when i started... they work fine also... He's not gonna be gigging i assume so it doesn't need to be crazy tough like it's being setup and taken down all the time.

I'm using a Yamaha 100th anniversary kit myself.. they made 10 of them in 1987..i LOVE yamaha over pretty much any other drum company, hard to find any that sound bad no matter the price level :)
2021-06-23 07.49.20.jpg

-
Back