Any options besides air shocks for a 2"-3" lift?

-

ZooKypr

Reaction score
'66 Barracuda Form. S - Currently I'm running air shocks and want to know if there any other option for a 2"-3" lift? I know beefier leaf springs is probably the best option but is there a rear shock that is 2"-3" taller than the OEM shocks but still give my ride proper shock absorption then risking breaking the upper mounts using air shocks? Maybe a truck shock? My Barracuda is just a street cruiser not a drag car or show car.

Thx, ZooKypr

I have had no problems with my air shocks or damage from them in the last 20 years of owning my (E-body) Cuda. However, I run them at low pressure.

Theres several places to purchase 1 or 2 inch over bend springs and IMO, that is the best way to go.

I have had no problems with my air shocks or damage from them in the last 20 years of owning my (E-body) Cuda. However, I run them at low pressure.

Theres several places to purchase 1 or 2 inch over bend springs and IMO, that is the best way to go.

What air pressure do to have in them? I like mine @ 85-95psi for the right stance. Mine have been on for 9yrs & 6000miles. I recently had one come off the top rear mount! I lost the bushing, lug & washer. I checked my other shock and found the lugs only hand tight. Have yours ever come loose like that? I'm concerned that the stiffness caused the lugs to vibrate loose. Also, my pass. rear shock is 1" lower than the driver side ( measured them when inflated). I tried several times deflating & inflating but to no avail. I think when I repaired the driver side bushing I re-stretched the shock and I probably have to remove the pass. side shock and do the same thing. Both are holding air fine.

P.S. they are Gabriel Hi-Jackers

Thx, Zookypr

You could redrill your front hangers lower and extend the rear shackles so the car weight is on the springs not the shocks

If you want to run air shocks run a line to each shock so you can adjust them independantly. That way you can run more air in one to even out.

take your car to a spring shop and they will put it on a rack to set where you want it and from there they can rearch your springs or add a leaf. BAM it is done and you never have to worry about it again. I did this on my first Duster and it worked very well. Not much more cost of good air shocks and it lasts forever. you will like it!

I'm really liking "TRAPSTER'S" idea of the leaf spring helpers. I think I'm leaning towards the 20" (1500lbs) leaf spring helpers with a heavy duty shock .
Thx for all the insight fellas and anyone else who has an idea or advice feel free to post it.

Keep ya posted.
ZooKypr

What air pressure do to have in them?
WHEW! I'll confess, it's been awhile, but I beileve it's approx 40 psi or less for the street race purposes down the back alley ways mostly.

I like mine @ 85-95psi for the right stance.
That is crazy.

Mine have been on for 9yrs & 6000miles.
I've have over 30.000 on my set. It hasn't moved in sometime though.

I recently had one come off the top rear mount! I lost the bushing, lug & washer. I checked my other shock and found the lugs only hand tight. Have yours ever come loose like that?
No, not ever.

I'm concerned that the stiffness caused the lugs to vibrate loose. Also, my pass. rear shock is 1" lower than the driver side ( measured them when inflated). I tried several times deflating & inflating but to no avail. I think when I repaired the driver side bushing I re-stretched the shock and I probably have to remove the pass. side shock and do the same thing. Both are holding air fine.

Air shocks are a load leveling device really. I put mine in when I was about 26 years old. They worked well for the time w/ S.S. springs and snubber for the back alley way racing / light to light. The shocks allowed alot of travel on a otherwise stock looking ride height. Some rake was/is OK, but not really ment for stance or high pressures on a daily bassis.

I also have a line on each shock that comes to a "T". I did like one line to each shock better, but I have no issue with odd heights between them.

P.S. they are Gabriel Hi-Jackers
Are there any other makers?:toothy10:

Coil overs and air-shocks push down on the back of the rear-end and exert a lot of force on your shock mounts. This can fail, and it is not great for traction.

Your best bet is to get new springs. which is what I did eventually.

Please just don't go with those rear shackle longer bars. So tacky to see cars lifted with those. Put on weaker springs usually result in a flat or counter curve. Have springs re arced.Shock fixes put stress in wrong spot.

Update...Installed KYB rear shocks and the 20" Leaf Spring helpers that TRAPSTER mentioned. Only gained 1 1/4" in height but handling & ride improved immensely! I'm very pleased with the setup.

ZooKypr

I bought these adjustable helpers for our first a-body...
http://www.jcwhitney.com/leaf-spring-adjustable-helpers/p2005984.jcwx?filterid=j1
These mount on top of the springs and include very long U-bolts and lots of jamb nuts.
I drawed them down tight as they would go with single nuts, torched off the excess u-bolt, and mushroomed the end with a shop hammer. They weren't visible and they weren't comming loose. If my memory serves correct I got over 1.5 inch difference.
Yeah they cost a bit more.

Air shocks, coil helper springs, overload springs and shackles are just
band-aids to the problem.
All they do is drive the spring rate way up and make the car ride like a
go-cart.
Ever drive an empty 1 ton Dodge van down a bumpy road?
Also, air shocks overload the shock mounts.
Long shackles are flop all over.
To solve the problem, get new springs and have then re-arched.

-
Back