Any Pontiac guys on here? Need insight.

-

plymouth67

It be a lot cooler if you did...
Reaction score
I have offered my services to my wife's great uncle as he is 80 and has a heart condition they can not fix. Anyways he has a 68 GTO with a 400 in it. The car died on day as he pulled in his garage. It was electrical, he got frustrated as he couldn't figure it out and, gave up and can't really crawl around messing with. The car sat for 5 or 6 years and, I offered to come get it and get if figured out and running again so they could enjoy it again.

Picked up the car and had it running in a couple days but, here is where the problem starts. The motor makes a whining noise that sounds similar to a gear drive but, doesn't have a gear drive in it. Motor seems to run very well it has a Ram Air 3 cam and edelbrock heads and looks be built very nicely. I have pulled the belts off to see if it was assecory driven, no luck, sound is still there. It is definitely something in the top end somewhere. I have ran it with the valve covers off and it is getting oil up top (although I feel it should be more). I pulled the intake and valley pan to have a look to see if the cam looks like it was getting oil or a spun cam bearing but, all that seems fine. I have never heard a motor make this kind of noise especially, since it runs so well. I'm kind of at a lose here. There was a touch of metal in the oil when I drained it but, not a ton. I'm not so sure the oil pump drive rod was completely seated into the oil pump but, if it wasn't I would think the distributor wouldn't of gone all the way in and, it was all the way down. So, anyway I haven't found a smoking gun here..Anybody??

20240127_095709.jpg

20240127_091955.jpg

Damn, that's one sweet Goat! I'm thinking you've already been through most of what I would have looked at, but have you checked the flexplate/flywheel or distributor shaft bushings?

You sure it's not from the transmission? Convertor/pump whine sounds a lot like a gear drive.. Does putting the car in gear change the sound?

And I agree nice GTO

Oil pump is probably taking a dump. Just went through all that.

Double check then triple check the pump output.

Damn, that's one sweet Goat! I'm thinking you've already been through most of what I would have looked at, but have you checked the flexplate/flywheel or distributor shaft bushings?
Definitely not coming from the flexplate. I looked over the distributor and it looks good in fact, it looks like it might be new.

You sure it's not from the transmission? Convertor/pump whine sounds a lot like a gear drive.. Does putting the car in gear change the sound?

And I agree nice GTO
Definitely not coming from the pump in the trans. We had it running while on the lift so we could get under it to listen to the noise. It's top side.

Oil pump is probably taking a dump. Just went through all that.

Double check then triple check the pump output.
My next thing to do is get a priming rod for it and run the pump with the intake and valve covers off. 1) to see if the pump is making noise and 2) to watch the volume of oil getting up top. I'm also going to take some measurements to make sure the oil pump drive rod was properly seated.

I did, when I first heard it I called him and asked if it had a gear drive in it. He said no. He said it wasn't making any noise before.
L o l... so what did you do to it...
Just joking, I have a customer that I assembled a 400 for...
And it's running great and makes no odd noises...
Just I've been through these motors or similar a couple of times..
Even though that motor is running great, he had a 389 stroked into a 440 and had a 6-pack or Tri-Power as it's called all rebuilt as well and we'll be putting that in soon...
Maybe I'm thinking that ( I could be thinking Oldsmobile) oils through the front cam bearing. And sometimes can turn and stop things up. But generally see that as low pressure in the heads...
Anyway, very curious to what you may find...

Photos my help jog some ideas, right off the bat I would look at belts and pulleys, water pump, alternator, power steering pump ect........

Last edited:
Photos my help jog some ideas, right off the bat I would look at belts and pulleys, water pump, alternator, power steering pump ect........
I ran it with all the belts off to eliminate those from being the culprit

Remove all the belts and start it up.

My original post is kind of long winded so, that proves that we are all about the same and just skim through the long winded posts...lol

My original post is kind of long winded so, that proves that we are all about the same and just skim through the long winded posts...lol
Don't worry if you don't describe everything triple r will be crying crystal ball...

L o l... so what did you do to it...
Just joking, I have a customer that I assembled a 400 for...
And it's running great and makes no odd noises...
Just I've been through these motors or similar a couple of times..
Even though that motor is running great, he had a 389 stroked into a 440 and had a 6-pack or Tri-Power as it's called all rebuilt as well and we'll be putting that in soon...
Maybe I'm thinking that ( I could be thinking Oldsmobile) oils through the front cam bearing. And sometimes can turn and stop things up. But generally see that as low pressure in the heads...
Anyway, very curious to what you may find...
So, from what I have learned is the Pontiac oils the rockers through the push rods and the cam gets its oil from the bottom end like a small block Mopar. My 1st though was possibly a spun cam bearing cause 1 journal of the cam to run dry causing this noise. After I have pulled the intake it looks be oiling all the cam journals but, I will really see that once I put a drive rod in it and run the pump.

I have had the rubber on my Hermonic balancer come loose and the outer ring went backwards and rubbed up against the timing cover...
I'm sure we're all spitballing at this point...

I have had the rubber on my Hermonic balancer come loose and the outer ring went backwards and rubbed up against the timing cover...
I'm sure we're all spitballing at this point...
I will look at that but, when it was running on the lift I would of thought we would have heard that under the car. I also wonder if the some of the push rods could be plugged causing the metal on metal at the tip of the push rod and the rocker arm.

"a whining noise" to me that s what a worn out steering pump would sound like. Parts running dry or too tight would be more of a screech or squeal? Is the noise continuous or harmonic, pulsating, deafening?

My carb make a whistling sound.

-
Back