Any Pontiac guys on here? Need insight.

-
Curious of why the old lifters were like that. Were they trying to restrict oil to the top end?
Who knows.
Engine builder probably ordered lifters, that what showed up, threw them in there. Why didn't engine builder run oil pump with drill and verify oiling before intake bolted on is beyond me. All kinds of problems can be caught fixed corrected by checking verifying. But no, its hey lets be dumb and lazy slap it together send it out the door. Engine builder never heard there was a problem so apparently it all worked out for them.

Engine builder probably ordered lifters, that what showed up, threw them in there. Why didn't engine builder run oil pump with drill and verify oiling before intake bolted on is beyond me. All kinds of problems can be caught fixed corrected by checking verifying. But no, its hey lets be dumb and lazy slap it together send it out the door. Engine builder never heard there was a problem so apparently it all worked out for them.
Yeah but what application would they even be used for, restricting little to no oil to the top end?
Manufacture screw up? top end oiled by other means?

Yeah but what application would they even be used for, restricting little to no oil to the top end?
Manufacture screw up? top end oiled by other means?
Yeah doesn't make any sense lifters are not sending or restricting oil flow. On a mopar where they have shaft rockers oiled up through heads makes sense but most other engine oil up through push rods.

Read posts 112 & 119 to see how these lifters send oil to the prods.

Read posts 112 & 119 to see how these lifters send oil to the prods.
The lifters that were in the engine in thier current state cannot allow oil through them and get through the pushrods, there is no possible way they could. I measured how far down in the bore that restrictor disk sits inside the liftet and then, I measured the the pushrod cup. The pushrod cup is actually .003" taller. This means the pushrod is always pushing down on that restrictor disk. I have so many unanswered questions about this like, how did this thing live for 10,000ish miles and, not destroy a single thing? What would be the application of this style lifter? At this point I don't know as if any of the answers to these questions will ever be found. I will be happy to have hopefully figured out the issue and have this thing back on the road.

I’d pull distributor and spin it up with something like a drill. Cap on,

I’d pull distributor and spin it up with something like a drill. Cap on,
I primed it up with a drill before I set the valves and then, ran it at about 2500 rpm for 20 minutes to get the lifters spinning and broke in to the cam.

Well, it's been 3 steps forward and 1 step back. Running great, took it down the road to throw some gas in it and, brakes are sketchy. Blew a wheel cylinder on the left rear. Picked up the wheel cylinder, put it in, went to bleed the brakes and, can't get any fluid out of the right front. Track it down to the brake hose, ordered one and it should be here in the morning....fingers crossed that this is the last thing. We plan to take it back tomorrow and surprise him as long as the brakes cooperate.

Ply 67,
Had a fr brake hose on my GTO block up with rust/sediment before I bought the car. Driven 1000 miles like that......

Since the new lifters are the same type as the old ones, what do you think caused the old ones to fail to pump oil to the top end? Disc stuck to p'rod seat/gummed up?

Ply 67,
Had a fr brake hose on my GTO block up with rust/sediment before I bought the car. Driven 1000 miles like that......

Since the new lifters are the same type as the old ones, what do you think caused the old ones to fail to pump oil to the top end? Disc stuck to p'rod seat/gummed up?
They are different. The new ones have holes in the disk to allow oil to flow out of the inner chamber of the lifter. As far as what exactly happened or, the story of the old lifters, I think there are things in life I'm not supposed to know like, how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop. I was able to diagnose the lifters as being the issue and get it back to being happy and help an 80 year old family member enjoy his car again and that's ok by me. I have my thoughts on how this happened but, I may never really know for sure. Thanks for following along and, your input.

Glad it came together for you. I've always kinda been a closet Pontiac guy.....even though I like to get them boys goin by calling um truck motors. small bore, long stroke. They hate that. lol This is my all time favorite body style. Just a plain 70 GTO. No Judge. No wing. No tacky *** hood tach. Just clean lines.

GTO.jpeg

Glad it came together for you. I've always kinda been a closet Pontiac guy.....even though I like to get them boys goin by calling um truck motors. small bore, long stroke. They hate that. lol This is my all time favorite body style. Just a plain 70 GTO. No Judge. No wing. No tacky *** hood tach. Just clean lines.

View attachment 1716218535
I like the 68 to 70 GTO. If I was going to buy a GM product it would be a 70 Buick GSX.

View attachment 1716218535
Well mine has a hood tack and runs mid elevens. Red gtos are the best

20190528_174447.jpg

And here they are...once again enjoying the car. She was balling her eyes out when I pulled up in it.

FB_IMG_1710024342826.jpg

-
Back