any power in a 318?

-
Where are you coming up with the idea that you need or want 400 HP? Is this just a number that you plucked from the air, or are you going after some bragging rights in your town?

A 300hp 318 is still a fun machine and will be cheaper and more reliable to build....just saying.

Where are you coming up with the idea that you need or want 400 HP? Is this just a number that you plucked from the air, or are you going after some bragging rights in your town?

A 300hp 318 is still a fun machine and will be cheaper and more reliable to build....just saying.

X2

Four hundred horsepower in a properly set up A-body would be a damn quick car, like mid 11's. Is that what you're trying to build for a first car?

Built my 318 Bored to 326 put some forged pistons, arp rod bolts, 268 cam,headers,ported out alloy heads and intake, It was a Hot motor! I was beating the new supercharged cobras with some bolt ons! And all motor wish I would have dynod it. And when I was going to Race some one fast I would sqeeze A little shot like 200. You will be happy with that little 318! https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/14247_1310125195487_5009021_n.jpg

Agree about a bagillion percent. Most people say they want 400 or 500 HP have never known what an honest to goodness 300 HP street car feels like. 300 REAL HP in a A body has the potential to hit high 12s if the car is right. That ain't a slow street car.

I love and have built many small blocks, and a 300HP 318 is is an easy, and safe build. reliable and dependable.

But, I still like the idea of lots of head room in an engine. I don't want to build a street engine to the max (400HP 318 ) and sacrifice reliability for bragging rights. In the end, it's a street car, and it still has to get you home at the end of the day. Every day that you drive it.

Personally, if I looking for 300+ HP, with reliability, low stress, and decent MPG's, I'd still consider a 383 or a 400 block. Hell, a stock 383 make 335HP. and a 400 (essentially a 383 on pollution control) can easily do the same, with out working hard at it, at all.

I know this is a 318 conversation, but, if your looking for inexpensive, easy to build, ultra reliable power, a relatively mild build 383 (or 400) can put you into the 400HP range, not to mention the low end grunt it will offer (almost free), for minimal cost, parts purchases, and machining.

I love and have built many small blocks, and a 300HP 318 is is an easy, and safe build. reliable and dependable.

But, I still like the idea of lots of head room in an engine. I don't want to build a street engine to the max (400HP 318 ) and sacrifice reliability for bragging rights. In the end, it's a street car, and it still has to get you home at the end of the day. Every day that you drive it.

Personally, if I looking for 300+ HP, with reliability, low stress, and decent MPG's, I'd still consider a 383 or a 400 block. Hell, a stock 383 make 335HP. and a 400 (essentially a 383 on pollution control) can easily do the same, with out working hard at it, at all.

I know this is a 318 conversation, but, if your looking for inexpensive, easy to build, ultra reliable power, a relatively mild build 383 (or 400) can put you into the 400HP range, not to mention the low end grunt it will offer (almost free), for minimal cost, parts purchases, and machining.

That's exactly my plan. After I get my little nasty 318 done and runnin in the truck, I am gonna do a 383 or 400. Probably a 400 for the extra bigness of the bore size. So I will have a tried and true hot little 318 for somebody in the future. lol

Agree about a bagillion percent. Most people say they want 400 or 500 HP have never known what an honest to goodness 300 HP street car feels like. 300 REAL HP in a A body has the potential to hit high 12s if the car is right. That ain't a slow street car.

When I did the upgrades to my teen, Camquest estimated my HP at 330. So knowing that program can be generous I would say I'm at 300 HP or real close to it.

It's a fun package I agree, but I would sure like more. Although I have never really had the chance to run it out in drive so I'm not 100% sure of what it is capable of.

If I was a betting man I would say 13 ish. Numerically higher gears and a good stall would help immensely.

I bet you could slam a good set of blended 302s or Magnum heads on your car and it would be a solid 13 second car......if it aint now. That would just get it deeper. lol

Well, I'm doing some ignition and intake upgrades now, so we will see. I know it runs pretty good, I just don't want to wind it up to 100 on the roads, know what I mean?

I forget...what gear is in it?

It might well run some good 14s now. My 71 Dart went 13.99 first time out with a real sho nuff dirt road build and 3.23s. It was a 360 though.

-
Back