Any quality rad shrouds being made?

-

71DodgeDemon340

Reaction score
so i cant be the only one whos spent the money on repro shroud for it only to distort after a couple years can i? After about 2-3 years one day the fan started eating up the shroud, noticed the bottom had sort of curled up and was making contact with the fan, also it is wayyy off center, since it distorted theres probably 3/4” more of a gap between blade and shroud on the pass side than driver side. Shroud fit perfect when it was new, but why does it take that long to actually distort? Is the only way to go original? I dont mind spending money but some of these repro parts dont seem worth what they cost

I bought a 22" shroud from Classic.

It turned out to be an OEM piece (well, it's got a pentastar and a Chrysler part number molded into it).

Perfect fit.

radshroud.jpg

radshroud2.jpg

Hmmm now lemme ask this, whats the chances of putting pastic trim protector on it causing the plastic to get soft over time?

I need to look at mine, i cant remember where i got it but i dont recall there being any mopar stampings on it

All I can suggest is that (since the one you have is already fubarred) you try and reshape it using a hot air gun.

I just measured the thickness of my shroud at 4.65mm or 182 thou.

Mine is new, had it on the car a few months so it hasn't had any time to warp.....how thick is your shroud?

My Demon didn't overheat at all, even in 100 degree heat. I have a thermal clutch fan.

I installed a shroud for two reasons. You can never have an excess of cooling efficiency, or safety.

I purchased a 22" shroud from "Herbs". The "scallops" in the shroud do not match/line up with the "scallops" in the radiator so there is a gap. But the radiator has no Chrysler markings so it must be a replacement that has some subtle differences from the factory original part.

DSC01099.JPG

I see some of you like the shroud from Classic, The one I got totally sucked, I'm going to make a wooden buck and make my own from fabric and fiber glass. Someone posted about this some time ago but I can't find it.

Jeff

Half million or more vehicles were delivered without a fan shroud. Todays need of a shroud related to global warming? Traffic? I have the OEM shroud for my 67 273. Never installed it. Don't need it. I'll let it go with the Commando vert project.
Where a 16 inch fan faces a 26 inch radiator a shroud is very beneficial. Same fan facing a 22 inch radiator,,, not so much, especially in the case of the 2 row radiator.
The shroud was added to those with 3 and 4 row radiators or a/c condensers due to that added restriction. Not to utilize more of the radiator surface though. The shroud serves as a duct in how it directs air flow.
As far a safety is concerned... The fan shroud was a safety hazard in the beginning. Consumer advocates/insurance institute had all mfgrs permanently emboss " CAUTION FAN " in top of shrouds so oblivious folks wouldn't continue to loose fingers.
We can only dream that some consumer advocate would look at aftermarket part quality.
I've heard that buzzards don't have butt holes so that isn't absolutely required either. Just thought I would toss that in here.

The whole idea of the shroud is to allow the fan to direct air flow through the radiator efficiently without losing as much air flow as possible.
They focus airflow through the entire radiator as compared to just the area that is covered by the traditional fan, creating a vacuum that pulls air across the entire surface area of the radiator, thus increasing cooling.
An un-shrouded fan is moving air through only the portion of the radiator equal to the surface area of the fan.
The same principle applies such as in wind tunnels, the turbine or fan is mounted in the entire diameter of the tunnel for maximum efficiency and air flow.

Last edited:
I see some of you like the shroud from Classic, The one I got totally sucked, I'm going to make a wooden buck and make my own from fabric and fiber glass. Someone posted about this some time ago but I can't find it.

Jeff
I did this for my Dart, since I ended up with an aluminium radiator. I used some scrap wood, and a T shirt. Works great. But it's alot of work.

I once had a similar issue on a 74 duster 360 I bought from my brother in law. But I knew what the problem was. He ran it into a parked car in Seattle, when he was "celebrating" his birthday. In the wreck he shifted the front end over a couple inches. I had no money to have the frame straightened, so I cut off a couple inches from the ends of the fan blades. Problem solved. Never had an overheating problem, even running 100mph +, for over a 100 miles in Eastern WA, in the summer.

I once had a similar issue on a 74 duster 360 I bought from my brother in law. But I knew what the problem was. He ran it into a parked car in Seattle, when he was "celebrating" his birthday. In the wreck he shifted the front end over a couple inches. I had no money to have the frame straightened, so I cut off a couple inches from the ends of the fan blades. Problem solved. Never had an overheating problem, even running 100mph +, for over a 100 miles in Eastern WA, in the summer.
Id say the airflow at 100+ is sufficient enough even without a fan lol

Because it is part of the cooling system. Much like you need a butthole because it's part of your digestive tract.
A butthole is an essential part of the digestive track
On Mopars a shroud is not essential, its nice but not essential. Sorta like flushable baby wipes. If you really need them you have a problem.

-
Back