any reason not to cut it?

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
hey guys
as some of you may know, I have a real spiffy cold air system on the duster (pics to follow)

now, I found a flaw in my setup, where I can't just pop the wignut off to inspect the airfilter and carb

so, the housing is 14 inches across
there is a dip at 10.5 inches
and the filter is 12.5

is there any reason I could t cut the center out, along the 12 inch line, and put a 14 inch lid back on?

that would in essence make it like the regular design, no?

20200519_144757.jpg

20200519_144800.jpg

20200519_144804.jpg

Last edited:
I wish I could figure out what you are asking...

I wish I could figure out what you are asking...

this is my set up
1470259101_zpsrrxsk9bt-jpg.jpg

the top part is one piece
which mean i have to disconnect the two large pipes going into the fenders before i can get to the air filter

there is no actual lid

im thinking of cutting this section out
(marked in red)

which will be about 10 inches across
then i figured id buy a 14 inch lid to put across it

any reason this wouldnt work ?

lid.jpg

Last edited:
As long as you can get it to seal up. No reason it shouldn't work. But.... I'm a little leery on how ridged the pieces will be once cut. Flat tin doesn't have much rigidity without the bead or fold over work in tack. That's why it's designed the way it is.

He's basically going to make his air cleaner a three piece design.

As long as you can get it to seal up. No reason it shouldn't work. But.... I'm a little leery on how ridged the pieces will be once cut. Flat tin doesn't have much rigidity without the bead or fold over work in tack. That's why it's designed the way it is.

He's basically going to make his air cleaner a three piece design.

correct
thats why i want to cut it on that spot, it will have a little bit of a lip still, and because its only sticking out about 2 inches from the side i think it will do just fine (plus, it will have the filter to support it )

Isn't the rim of the filter under the outer ring of the 'lid'? It seems the removing the piece you propose would get you to the inside of the air filter element but not allow you to remove the filter. By the time you get all this cut out is the remaining part of the air cleaner box going to be stiff enough?

Isn't the rim of the filter under the outer ring of the 'lid'? It seems the removing the piece you propose would get you to the inside of the air filter element but not allow you to remove the filter. By the time you get all this cut out is the remaining part of the air cleaner box going to be stiff enough?
yes, it would not allow me to remove the filter

maybe this is a round about way of doing things

I do believe the housing would be sturdy enough

-
Back