Any recommendation for ignition coil?

-

340Dust-her

Reaction score
71' 340. I converted to electronic ignition distributor and need a coil to go along with it. Parts store has "Duralast" and "Gold" but I don't think i want to trust it and I believe its made for points type distributors. They also mentioned if it had a D shaped Terminal? What exactly is that?Thank in advance.

most common are round eyelet terminals but some applications got a 'D' shaped eyelet applied to a similar stud.

get an Accel super stock (yellow one) or and MSD Blaster 2. i had both on the duster with an electronic ignition and they're great. and don't buy that autozone cr@p.

agree on the accel mopar metal 50k volts is one of the best out there

They also mentioned if it had a D shaped Terminal? What exactly is that?Thank in advance.

A D shape terminal is refering to the screw stud for the + and - connections on the primary side of the coil. Once side of the stud has the trheads machined off making it look like a D from the end. If you use that in conjunction with a ring terminal with a D opening the terminal will not roate as you tighten the nut.

When selecting a coil do not get hung up on the output voltage rating. The coil secondary voltage only rises to the level necessary to jump the plug gap. In a properly operating igntion in a stock or close to stock engine the voltage necessary to jump the plug gap is 17,000-20,000 volts. Whether you use a coil that is rated for 35,000 or one rated 50,000 it's still only going to rise to 17,000-20,000 volts. The only time the higher rating comes into play is when you have worn parts, improper mixture very high compression where it takes more voltage to create a spark the higher rating may make the difference between a misfire and not. Also, all inductive systems the output potential of the coil goes down as rpms go up so a higher rated coil may extend the rpm range a few hundered before misfiring occurs.

I was actually looking for a stock replacement. Since swapping to electronic distributor, coils for points distributor do not work. I thought 73' 340's used electronic distributors;I asked the sales clerk to look up the part # and its the same as the ignition coil for points type distributor.

There is no difference between a coil for points and a coil for electronic ignition. The coil does not know if it's points or a electronic box that is making / breaking the path to ground.

There is a difference in the ballast resistor you use with each.

If you have a Chrysler factory electronic distributer etc.. you can ask for about any 73 up application and they'll sell you the correct one. 75 model 360 truck even.
As for Duralast... I hesitate to buy those "hard to change" parts like starters built by them . A coil is too easy to change, their warrenty is as good as any and the stores are everywhere.
I probably created confusion when I said HEI ignition uses a different (Hotter) coil but I cant tell from here what aftermarket stuff you may have.

Its just a regular Mopar performance distributor with igntion control box, 2 pt ballast resistor. In the past I did buy an ignition coil from autozone and the car would not start. I then re-used the original coil and it started right up. I was reading my manual and it states specifically that 72-76' Electronic ignitions used a special ignition coil. I'm not saying what you said is wrong. But its the reason why I was going about it all wrong.

-
Back