Any roof guys here? Cedar shake roof is leaking

-

Cooter

Reaction score
So in an arid, desert area...it decides to monsoon over 2 days.

Are there any roofing contractors on FABO that can help with tips or tricks for repair?

Thanks
Trav

what / how is it leaking? on a breather / ply or slat/tarpaper.

you tube link for repairs. hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=youtube+cedar+roof+repair&aq=f

we had our $60k roof damaged in a hail storm and the roofer that installed it did the repairs and they didn't treat it with white gloves while they did it, so don't be intimidated.

good luck

i found the problem. so i have 2 different roof levels on the house. its a california tri-level. (goes left to right instead of front to back).

The upper level has a gutter without a downspout that drains a huge stream on the lower level. Thus when its freaking dumping like it has been, the entire lower level of roof takes all the water from the upper. And it takes it in one small area.

Now, to get a downspout and drain the upper into the lower's gutter....hopefully this should help.

Luckily it stays pretty dry and hot over here, that part of the roof should dry out when it hits 100 this summer for weeks on end.

Trav

problem with using a membrane, is this is a cedar roof. it has to breath, hence the ply / breather / shake method or the slat, tarpaper, shake method, which is actually the installation method that I believe should be used. if installed properly with proper drainage, in that location, there shouldn't be a water issue with the monsoon weather.

caledonpond3030.jpg

One minor detail...the roof is from 1964. Again, I dont think that drain was installed right. We usually dont get heavy *** rain like that. These were super cloud bursts.

No membrane; then your tarpaper is bad. Tarpaper deteriorates over time. Breathing? That's what the attic does, hence the vents.

its not my intention to get into a arguement with you on the topic or hijack this thread, but I suggest you do your research on cedar roofs and their installation methods. if your going to drop some serious coin on this type roof you need to know the ins and outs of them. you will find, the preferred method of install is the slat tar shake method because the shake needs to breath to prevent dry rotting from the inside out. although "soffit vents on a cedar is still standard for most installs the s/t/s/ method usually is good for aprox 30 year life span if properly maintaind. Yes these roofs need maintenance. A huge mistake is people assume they are just like an ashphalt shingle roof. those are the ones that pay dearly in the long run for a short term cedar roof.
Again no argument here, everyone,s entitled to their opinions and ideas. Lets just say, I did my homework, before I dropped 60 grand on a roof!

ps. ever see roof vents on a cedar? they are the on the roof peaks. cleverly disguised.

thanks Plum. In fact, I can't reinstall another shake roof here. Its too dry and considered a fire hazard (per city code). i could repair, but only small sections. When the nearby mexicans light off fireworks, I have to stand guard with a hose since one small spark and the whole ****-house would go up in flames. Up in the north, heck yes, a cedar roof would be ideal.

If this keeps happening tho, I'm selling the whole sum-biscuit and moving out into the country with a big shop and acreage.

if there is an obvious spot that may be letting water in then get a piece of galvinized metal to slide under and up into the leaking area of the cedar shingle, some plastic cement is ok to seal an area, roof leaks can be deiceving cuz the leak can come from an area away from where the leak is dripping from inside the home, remember water is traveling downward so the shingle layout is designed and put on the roof to allow the water to drain down, if the water is pooling up in a high runoff area like yours is then it maybe pooling and going up and finding a way in to leak, id try the plasic cement aka black roof cement, i havent roofed in the last 8 years but been involved in it for 10 plus years with my dads company, also go to a roofing supply and ask for advise, dont rely on Home depot etc etc for advise

-
Back