Any suggestions for fixing this speedo pinion?

-

nm9stheham

Reaction score
Sooo, the speedo pinion stuck for some unknown reason coming out of the A903 3-speed in my early Dart, and cracked the pinion into 2 pieces. Looks like a replacement from Brewer's is $70-$90 for the same looking pinion for an early 4 speed. Has 19 teeth.

Any suggestions on how to glue this back together? I figure it is worth a try. Tnx for any ideas!

Attachments

• DSCN1365.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 251
It can be installed without that section (as it is just the retainer) but it also could, and probably would fall down in the trans the next time the cable was removed.

Hope someone has another one for you.

^^^ Actually, that is a good point! The point of the gear will ride on the milled flat in thetailshaft housing.

I may do something just as a experiment to see if it will hold. Right now, I am thinking of starting with some cyanacrylate glue on the direct contact surfaces, and then reinforcing using some JBWeld or Locktite 2-part plastic epoxy reinforced with chopped Kelvar threads, and roughing up the surface to see if that will hold a bit better. There are some areas on the side where some small thickness can be built up.

But any other ideas are welcomed.

put up an add --to see if anyone has a used piece-- some of these guys have those pieces---, good luck ,Lawrence

Problem with glue is nothing really sticks to nylon. Especially nylon that's been immersed in tranny fluid for decades. You're just wasting your time.

I've got several of the early A speedometer pinions; however none that color or number of teeth.

JB Weld might do it. But you will need to get it spotlessly clean. I would rather try than not.

I should have one-I will look tomorrow

.....................u could try a product called Qbond, make sure u get the powder with it.........or maybe some fusion, body shops use it all the time..........kim....

Well I had some time on my hands so decided to try to fix this speedo pinion; as RRR opines, it is worth a try.

I took Oldkimmer's suggestions and looked into Q-Bond; it's glue is a cyanoacrylate glue (super glue) which was what I figured would be good for rebonding the original break since the surfaces are clean breaks with a tight, flush fit. Cyanoacrylates are very strong but are only good for very small gaps, .002" max in their basic form. The positive thing about them for this use is that they are resistant to gasoline, kerosene, and motor oils (and so hopefully is OK for trannie fluids too unless there is some additive that attacks it).

The interesting thing about Q bond is the powder that comes with it; from what I can tell, the powder is inert. But it is a very fine powder that comes in 2 types in their kit: one type for plastic and the other for metal. The powder is sprinkled on the area to repair and then is flooded by the glue (which is very watery). The fine powder fits closely together, forming thousands of very tiny gaps; the watery glue flows into these tiny gaps and forms thousands of very strong bonds. So you end up with a matrix of thousands of powder particles and glue bonds.

The parts prep was to clean in isopropyl alcohol several days ago and seal it into a baggie; when it was opened, I smelled immediately for any ATF odor in the bag and found none, so the gear plastic does not appear to have absorbed any ATF; that would indeed have been problematic as suggested. A final cleaning with denatured alcohol was done. Then dozens of tiny scores in the area of the plastic to be glued were made with an Exacto knife in a cross hatch pattern to give a rough surface for the bond to 'bite' into.

The original break was bonded with just the glue, and then the powder + glue was applied along the sides where the slots do not extend. I could stress it just minutes afterwards with no bond cracking even to the point of slightly flexing the surrounding plastic. It was left to set up overnight, as cyanoacrylate glues typicaly have a cure time to max strength of 24 hours or so. Some trimming of the slot end for the clip spring is done and it is ready to go in! Time will tell if there is any thing weak about this, but I have bent and pressed on it close to what I think would have been the breaking point of the original plastic with no adverse effects.

But just watch; after all this build up, it will just fall into pieces when I slip it on the speedo gear holder... or 1 mile down the road... LOL. I have tried plenty of repairs that have failed....but you sometimes learn a new trick.

With the metal powder included in the kit, this Q-bond might be some pretty good stuff for general repairs and has some advantages over JBWeld, in that there is none of the variability of hardness that seems to occur with 2 part epoxies I got this at NAPA for a bit over $15, and have seen it on the net for about half of that.

Thanks for the good ideas all, 'specially Oldkimmer!

Attachments

• DSCN1365.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCN1369.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 138
It'll work great.
(Right up till you pull the cable again some day and the end falls down in the trans)

:D Sorry but that seems to be the way it usually goes.

Yep, I would not be surprised... LOL. Now I gotta pull it out after 1000 or so miles to see. This Q-bond has me pretty interested in seeing how it will work.

Got a spare pinion on the way any how.

Merry Christmas!

-
Back