Any tips for setting timing dwell on the 273HP

-

zhandfull

Reaction score
Need to set timing and dwell on the 273HP with clean air package and manual trans.

Not much experience with the dual point distributor I guess the dwell should be double the book setting for a single point is that right?

My book says timing 5 degree after TDC is that right? My book only goes back to 1967 but I'm working on 1966 with the clean air package.

Non clean air package timing at 10 degree before TDC. Big 15 degree difference between the clean air package and non clean air package timing.
Wondering if there is any performance to be gained from advancing the timing a little on my clean air package 273?

The manual says one point set @27 degrees and the other @ 31. Block off one set with a matchbook and set the other set then reverse the procedure. You can set them both @ .014-.019 as long as the dwell totals 36-40 degrees. I sstart my initial timing out at 10 btdc but with CAP the spec is 5 deg. atdc. If you don't have mandatory emissions testing, I would set the initial timing @ 10-15 degrees depending on the fuel you use and whether you have detonation or not. The 15+ degrees will make a lot of power. tmm

-
Back