Any tips on sending a door from California to Michigan?

-

pauly

MOPAR or no car!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Wondering if any of you West Coast members have any words of wisdom on sending a VW Beetle door from the LA area to west Michigan? UPS and FedEx are about $300 for a $100 door! Ouch!

Doesn’t look like Fastenal is doing cross country stuff anymore. They now have an East and West zone.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Greyhound used to ship large items for pretty cheap. It’s not fast, they basically just send it in the cargo as they have room so it can sometimes take weeks. Tracking isn’t super awesome and you have to pick up from the bus terminal.

But if you’re not in a hurry and you don’t mind going down to a bus terminal it’s quite a bit less expensive.

Maybe someone like Rhino who is traveling all over transporting cars might be able to help. Known on this forum as HemiSSDart I believe.
Good luck

Greyhound quit doing that a few years ago, unfortunately.

Bummer! Hadn’t looked into it recently. Definitely didn’t seem like something they were very focused on, but I definitely used them to ship a few large items that would have cost a fortune with a normal shipper.

i shipped a door back east last month and used Uship. it was kind of a pain in the *** but was cheaper than UPS ground/freight even with my discount.

i wound up building a pallet/skid with a 1/4" ply box and packed the crap out of it. tracking left a little to be desired, but it arrived within the window and undamaged.

CudaChick has been using something called PirateShip (or something like that). Not sure how it works, but worth checking out.

CudaChick has been using something called PirateShip (or something like that). Not sure how it works, but worth checking out.
I sold a set of KH disc brakes for an A body, spindles included and used Pirate Ship. USPS was $62 each for 2 boxes, 43 lbs. each and UPs was $60. I signed up for PirateShip.com for free and shipped them for $30 each, thru UPS. All I had to do was print the labels, tape em to the boxes and drop them off at UPS. You need to know the weight, length, width, depth of box to get a quote. I'll absolutely us them again.

-
Back