Any tips or tricks to installing rear window and seal on a 71 Duster?

-

813Demon340

Reaction score
I'm going to install my rear window on my 71 Duster this week and could use any tips or tricks to make the install go smoothly. Its a new seal. Is it best to do the string trick? Would i pull the string from inside or outside car? I ask because of the lower inner "lip" of the seal is 2" or so. Any experienced advice would help. The front windshield will be done by the glass company doing the windshield.

paid a local mobile window company 40 bucks to install one....i had already broke the old one taking it out....

I just installed my back glass(70 swinger).I sprayed the gasket groove down with soapy water and put the gasket on the car,then placed the glass in by slideing it in the lower groove has much I it would go.Then i had a ice scraper handle that I used to work the gasket around the glass.A duster should be alot easier because the swinger has pointed lower corners that was a huge pain.Just remember its glass dont force it,put all the pressure on the gasket as you work it around not on the glass.
BTW I did put a rope in the groove of the gasket but I was working alone and could not work the rope right,it kept just sliding out so I scrapped that idea and went the other way with it.Some even put the gasket around the glass and work the gasket onto the pinch welds of the car but that lower strip is harder to get to.This is what I done hope it helps.

Oh and I had the glass guy put the front in and he wanted $50-$80 dollars to put the rear in.I have done everything to this car myself except the windshield so it was a pride thing for me to be able to put mine in myself.

paid a local mobile window company 40 bucks to install one....i had already broke the old one taking it out....

x2.

Best tip.... Hire a glass guy.

Doing your own glass work just isn't cost effective or a matter of pride. It's being smart.

You get a leak..... It's covered under your warranty.

Crack the glass putting it in...... The glass guy eats it and gets you a new one.

x2.

Best tip.... Hire a glass guy.

Doing your own glass work just isn't cost effective or a matter of pride. It's being smart.

You get a leak..... It's covered under your warranty.

Yup. My rear is leaking on both sides. He's taking care of it for me next week. These new seals these days are iffy. Just not the same quality.

Thanks Mopar410, I'll give it a try. I've done almost everything myself too. The last time I had a windshield put in my RR I knew more about how to install that in the car than the glass guy did. But I will have them do the windshield in the Duster in case it cracks.

Robj, what brand of seal did you use? Luv your Swinger BTW!

Thanks Mopar410, I'll give it a try. I've done almost everything myself too. The last time I had a windshield put in my RR I knew more about how to install that in the car than the glass guy did. But I will have them do the windshield in the Duster in case it cracks.

Robj, what brand of seal did you use? Luv your Swinger BTW!
Just take your time its really not that hard and also remember the windshield is not temped "like" the back its glued together with a film between the halves.The back is temped so its harder to break.

They are strong but remeber glasses weekest point is its ends baby them you should be ok. I still would preffer someone else taking the heat for it and relax.

Robj, what brand of seal did you use? Luv your Swinger BTW![/QUOTE]

Thanks!

I've ordered so many parts from so many places but I think they were Precision. I handed them straight off to the glass guy when I got them. I took all the glass out myself but putting it back in I decided to leave it to him. He does many of the classics in town. Now he's going to seal it for no charge.

I have a buddy who dinged the corner of a Mustang windshield leaving it as glass scrap so I had that in the back of my mind.

-
Back