Any transmission gurus

-

rusty

Reaction score
I asked this over on the truck forum this morning and haven't had any hits so i'll ask over here-I am having the transmission in the old Winnie rebuilt and was doing some research. Question is there are several kickdown levers for the band in different ratios,which one will work best for the RV it is a 360/727 I not sure whats in it now but the donor case has a 2.0 in it. thanks Todd

No guru either. Internal levers; the higher the ratio, the greater the holding power, at the expense of application time.I cant remember ever seeing a 2.0 tho.
AS to which is better for a Winnie, IDK. It would take a lot to convince me to use a 2.0 tho.

what else is being done to the trans? Post a pic of that 2.0.

The Hemi cars used the 5.0 ratio lever, with a few other parts that if not used with the lever will actually cause more harm than good. A 3.8 or 4.2 will be fine.

After wiping it off a little better it is stamped 2.9 the trans is just getting a rebuild and maybe a shift kit,the only reason its apart is because I broke the ear that holds the linkage off while pulling the engine-long story! I am using a case from a bad trans I had laying around.

Just use the 2.9. That will work fine in that application.

Todd. I would also stay with your 2.9 lever. The higher up you go in the ratio, the more agressive your overlap on the 2-3 shift will be, unless you make other upgrades to the trans. That is my experience.
The 2.9 lever will work fine in your RV.

There is a big difference between what would be done on a street car and the trans of a motorhome.
Leave the 2.9
I might consider a higher ratio lever if I was towing a big *** trailer all the time though.
The higher the number the longer it takes for the lever to apply,(all other things in the trans equal) but the higher number levers have more holding power.

Thanks everyone,I know I am asking these questions on a A body forum but don't seem to find the kind of response and answers on a rv or truck forum as I do here. Thanks again.Todd

Thanks everyone,I know I am asking these questions on a A body forum but don't seem to find the kind of response and answers on a rv or truck forum as I do here. Thanks again.Todd

-
Back