Any tricks to get stuck drums off a 8.75

-

72moparswinger

Reaction score
I was at the reno classic car parts swap meet in sac and spotted a complete 8.75 a body small bolt pattern rear end, bought it right away cause of the small bolt pattern due to my 72 has that pattern and I would not have to change my wheels again. Its not a sure grip, even though it came out of a 1970 Duster 440 that was in a magazine long ago
The drums are stuck on, is there a trick to get them off as I tapped them with a rubber mallet to try to free them up. I do not know squat about these things yet this is my first 8.75
Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Stick a screwdriver in one of the slots and rotate the star wheel downward ( I think )

This should loosen the shoes.

Try rapping with BFH first,then try prying off.Sometimes heating drum around axle with torch help's,all else fail's,relieve adjuster's.Hope this help's.When installing drum's apply a little anti-seize around axle where drum makes contact.

Try rapping with BFH first,then try prying off.Sometimes heating drum around axle with torch help's,all else fail's,relieve adjuster's.Hope this help's.When installing drum's apply a little anti-seize around axle where drum makes contact.

Ill give that a shot too, thanks man!

Most of the time a smack or 2 between the lug studs with a steel hammer will bounce them loose. It not a dead blow nail driving effort but more of a recoiling, bell ringing swing , if that makes sense.
If you need to let off the adjusters.. The paw sits under the outer side of the star wheel and picks upward at it to extend it. You'll go the oposite way to close it. You may need 2 tools in there too. One to push the paw away and the other for turning.

Loosen the adjuster and cut the heads off the brake shoe retainers on the back side

Gottem off, pryed them loose after backing the adjuster star back, and a couple good wacks of a hammer and off they came
Thanks all for the help!

Yes, I would NEVER recommend heating a drum up with a torch as you would surely warp it. Also be careful not to put too much anti-seize on the drrum or the axle hub flange as centrifugal force will cause it to spin out & get on to the brake lining or drum.

-
Back