Any tricks to removing a stuck/stubborn/rusted-in place bleeder?

-
Are the calipers Aluminum?
I'm 99% certain they are not (aluminum).

And I want to say they are single piston, but I'm not absolutely positive on that. Pretty sure I don't have any pictures of the brakes, as I stopped taking pictures (i.e., stopped "documenting") once I found the cracked frame. After that was repaired it was "all hands on deck" to get the car running, so I didn't take too many pictures.

(Hmmmm. I wonder if Bazza would know....)

That's the idea, drill to, or thru the seat, you're installing new of both in a few mins, just need the pipe thread to seal.
No "tricky surgery" required, just a drill and tap. lol
Cheers
You didnt like my choice of words? ok ...lol

Screenshot_20240402-131538.png

I'll clarify by "surgery" I meant "requiring tools, skill and manual dexterity that most don't posess" or any combination thereof...

I had to replace a valve on my boiler and had to shut off some water valves. Frozen solid. I had bought this on Amazon for the car. Had not used in the car yet, but sorted this on the valves and within 10 minutes it broke loose using one hand. Worked great.

1712445587009306891113404081196.jpg

I'm trying to get Bazza's VG to MITP next month, but one of the issues with driving it there is that the front brakes are "so-so" at best, and I can't bleed them, as the bleeders are stuck in the calipers. When it was here last summer I ran out of time, and money, but I did try bleeding the brakes when I got everything else done. Only problem is, I could literally see the bleeder twisting as I tried to loosen it up, and since his car uses Sterling calipers and discs/rotors (IOW, NLA and big $$$), I didn't want to risk breaking the bleeder and/or stripping out the caliper.

I did try soaking the bleeders with some JB-80 "luber-schlider", but that didn't seem to help.

I know Bazza would really like to drive his car to MITP, so does anyone know of a handy way to break open stuck/rusted brake bleeders?

Thanks.

Jim

Just spray it with Maltby brand penetrating fluid. The only place I've found it is in Riverside, California. 510-993-1932 work, or 866-562-5829 mobile. It works way better than PB Blaster or WD-40. It works so good that I bought a case.

I'm trying to get Bazza's VG to MITP next month, but one of the issues with driving it there is that the front brakes are "so-so" at best, and I can't bleed them, as the bleeders are stuck in the calipers. When it was here last summer I ran out of time, and money, but I did try bleeding the brakes when I got everything else done. Only problem is, I could literally see the bleeder twisting as I tried to loosen it up, and since his car uses Sterling calipers and discs/rotors (IOW, NLA and big $$$), I didn't want to risk breaking the bleeder and/or stripping out the caliper.

I did try soaking the bleeders with some JB-80 "luber-schlider", but that didn't seem to help.

I know Bazza would really like to drive his car to MITP, so does anyone know of a handy way to break open stuck/rusted brake bleeders?

Thanks.

Jim
You could try heating the bleeders and then let them cool for a few minutes. That may shrink the bleed screws enough to break loose. If that does not do it, weld a nut on with the ground clamp on the caliper. The current and heat should do it.
When you get them out, put a little Copperkote on the bleeder threads where it can not get into the hydraulic system. Keeps them from getting siezed in again. Best to get new bleed screws in advance. I always put a bit of Copperkote on the bleed screws when I replace the calipers or a new vehicle. Cuss preventer.

-
Back