Any way to beef-up/upgrade a 7.25 rearend

-

73 408 Duster

Reaction score
Looking for any tricks or suggestions on beefing up or upgrading a 7.25 rearend. This rearend was originally behind a slant six and soon will be behind a 360/904. Eventually I would like to swap in a larger rearend but funds are tight for now. Thanks for your help.

No matter what you do with a 7-1/4... it will not last too long behind a 360... unless you plan on driving it like my Grandmother (rest her soul) used to drive!

But she got great gas mileage!!! :)

A sure grip unit is much stronger than an open rear. The spider gears in the open rear are the first things to blow. Might be a little hard to find one, though.

As suggested above its time for an 8 3/4..i would'nt trust 7 1/4 with any kind of power in front of it...

i agree with these guys save up and get you an 8.75, that is the way to go with your 360 in front of it. a dana is a little heavy but virtually indestructable its your choice, its your car. if it was me i would go with the8.75 and save the weight! i have seen an 8.75 put through hell with a 340 in front of it running wheels up 11.60s all day long on the quarter mile and never fail!

would have to agree....the 8.75" is probably your best bet. check ebay, i found one from a 70 dart complete drum to drum and it was a tick over $500 SHIPPED from new mexico. i blew up the spider gears in the 7.25 pretty easily with about 200hp going to it from a 360 and it wasn't even a very hard launch.
-tim

Throw an 8.25 under it for cheap and mount a set of real skinny tires on it.
And NO BURNOUTS. Should last for a while.

OPTIK...
Where in Cincy are you?.... need a care package from Gold Star Chili!

No hope for 7-1/4s. I used to tear the pinions out of 'em with a stock 273 two barrel. All of the recommendations for the 8-3/4 are the solution. Save up and go with the 8-3/4 and put an end to your rear end concerns.

OPTIK...
Where in Cincy are you?.... need a care package from Gold Star Chili!

northern part of the city - sharonville. they have frozen goldstar in the grocery stores around here but its not nearly as good as getting it from the restaraunt...

-tim

I use to live outside WPAFB in Dayton...Ohio is a great place to be FROM.

I have heard the "key" to not blowing a 7-1/4 is to not do one wheel burnouts. With a big engine, you just have to take it real easy till you find an upgrade.

TopHat

Optik,
I grew up in Forest Park and used to street race on I-275 and also in front of the Ford Transmission plant on Sharon Rd. How long have you been there?

Nevermind spending your money on a 8 1/4 save it for a 8 3/4 after buying the 8 1/4 you'll wish you did,they're not that much better then a 7 1/4,i had a buddy back years ago... his car originally had a 7 1/4 which did'nt last long,and neither did the 8 1/4's he kept putting underneath it...

There is nothing more miserable that putting time and money into something like the 7 1/4 and always ending up regetting just not just saving up for your 8 3/4. You save time, money, and your temper in the long run.

Optik,
I grew up in Forest Park and used to street race on I-275 and also in front of the Ford Transmission plant on Sharon Rd. How long have you been there?

lived here all my life, 34 years except for a couple that i spent in lexington. in fact i live in sharonville right up the hill past the pool, just a stones throw from the ford plant. its about 3/4 of a mile from my house. nowadays most of the street racing is done up and down I-75 between west chester and middletown or downtown under the columbia parkway overpasses at the bottom of mount adams.

-tim

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I am going to have to take it easy on mine and start saving for a bigger rear end.

Thanks

All the axle tubs and the housing can be fitted inside a dana 60 housing and machined so the yoke looks stock in the dana,with a little time and effort,you can do it,mrmopartech
PS.Get a 8.75 and be done!

-
Back