Anybody done an in-car cam swap?

-

Lars

Reaction score
I about to go retrieve my 360 from the machine shop, and I have a 340 cam that I was going to originally reuse. I was thinking about buying a .480 cam though, I figured installing it on the stand may be easier. Should I do it now or later? I'm kinda tight on funds, so I was considering holding off on the cam. This is for my 70 BTW.

Thanks

I did a cam swap on the 383 in my duster. Had to remove the grille and the hood latch support. Not that bad.

don

You will have to remove your radiator and grill, Not too bad then. But if oyu can do it before you put the engin in it would be easier.

OK cool. That's what I wanted to know. I'll just stick the new cam in while I have the engine on the stand then.

Thanks guys.

I just did it in the car, changed the cam that is, wasnt that bad. Grille, radiator n shroud do hafta come out. Stand will be a bit easier though

JohnnyJet said:
I just did it in the car,
He he he, not since I was 20 I think. But that was a fold down rear seat Duster.

Good to know whats involved since I'll be doing this in the future.

Well I have done it 3 times and plan on doing it again this spring. Its not bad if you have a few days-you think it go faster but for me it seems like it takes me awhile. Cleaning parts and no power tools slows me down. The big problem now is my back-gets stiff from bending over. The timing cover is the worst part for me now. The way I see it is by the time I yank the motor out-the cam would be out or almost-so thats why its in the car for me.

-
Back