Anybody drive their A-body in the snow?

-
I drive my 4 door year round. Washing the salt off with hot water helps a little but if you want a car to last keep it off the roads when they turn white.

damn day if I can, snow, rain, wind, day, night, ******** drivers, 110 degrees, the whole works.

Attachments

• small.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 164
That does help, but salt still gets inside the doors and fenders where you can't wash it out. Nice car, by the way.

Salt kills any car, the snow isn't that bad, its the salt, Not all places use salt, if we didn't well I would be more incline to on nice sunny days.

Salt turns in to dust and gets everywhere and salt attracts water. You can see it on dry days, roads with salt on them get damp. Car in the garage gets damp cause the salt pulls the water out of the air.

One thing thou, they don't salt the roads like they used to. They used to powered the roads with salt each night, now with anti-lock brakes there is less need to and the salt would kill these newer cars much quicker. All the wheels have sensors now, chrome wheels, aluminum control arms. If they dump the salt like they did in the 70's and 80's, these cars here would be dead in under 10 years.

That is how they "killed" so many of the cool cars back then. Now people today think these cars are made better, nope, less salt is used.

Up in northern Michigan no salt is used (or it used to be that way) and those cars last much longer even thou its colder and gets more snow then SE Michigan. That was the thing to do in the early 80's, drive 5 hours north and buy that 1970 car over there cause its in better shape. True no snow or cold is best but it was quicker and easier to drive north.

Heck I'll even drive it up and over a mountain pass in the snow!

Lets hear it for not salting the roads!!!!

Car is looking good Ross, doesnt that road antifreeze stuff they put on the road have salt in it again?

I have a real steep driveway and pretty much stay put if there is snow. I had a Willys wagon with a powerlock in the rear and detroit in the front so, why drive the cuda? I sold the Willys though so, I might take the cuda out this year if we get snow... I'm not sure how the 295x50-15s will do though... with the tight suregrip in back, probably be fun!

A sure grip and light touch on the throttle be a freakin blast.
Right now my right tire says "Ok I'll spin any time you want"
I'd rather have both driving the same.

My cars are rotissery restored, so no they don't see winter at all, and not even rain if I can help it. I drive an 04 hemi quad cab for a daily driver.

Car is looking good Ross, doesnt that road antifreeze stuff they put on the road have salt in it again?

Thanks!

As far as I know it's only in Seattle city limits that they are using salt. I haven't seen any adverse affects from driving the passes and east side yet. Now my buddy Rob who moved to the tri cities says they defiantly use salt because his aspen is getting disproportionately worse each winter.

I think anything they put on the roads--expect sand--isn't good for the metal.

As for not driving in the rain, depends where you live. Here in Michigan its kind of hard never to do, might be sunny and nice and rainy an hour later. life is short, some of these cars will still be around after we are all long gone.

These new cars can stop very good and its tricky to drive in bad weather, an accident can ruin your car in one shot--not to mention really crushing some new little car and hurting-killing somebody.

Detroit Lion player Suh crashed his 1970 Chevrolet Coupe while making a pass last night, the rearend came out--likely had 500-600 hp, ha ha. But he can afford to buy another one.

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Ndamukong-Suh-involved-in-overnight-crash-134961583.html

http://www.kgw.com/news/slideshows/...&c=y&ref=/news/slideshows&img=1#gallery-image

Not an a-body, but I drive my e-body challenger daily- rain, shine or snow.

But only sand on the roads here in Cali. :D

IMG_0711.jpg

my 1st one I drove all the time, but that was 1974, broke 16 year old and my only car

traded it for a 69 roadrunner, drove it year round too, used WD40 on the cragers, would wash it after driving in snow, clean wheels good and coat them to keep them from rusting

the CRAP they use on the roads today is much more corrsive than the plain salt they used in the 70's.

I don't like driving anything on the salt slurry covered roads now, the only time my Dart has been out in the snow was when it is driven in and out of the trailer to a ISCA show and that is only a few yards in the parking lot, VERY SLOWLY

if anyone has SBP and want a set of 13" studded snow tires I got a couple sets ................... LOL

It'll handle decent if it doesn't get burried again! Lol it won't get stuck in the downhill driveway sideways! Lol
no chuck that was going up hill and spun around lol and that was the truck lol .. As for cliffs val the last time it snowed here u could not even get it move out of its tracks lol it was up to the door handles lol i will have to find the pic lmao .. it dont like the snow but if u know how to drive it u will be fine and im sure u do cliff :prayer:

Nope, not me fellas. My 68 Road Runner and 75 Scamp stay in the garage once the white stuff (and SALT) start flying.

That's what my 06 Ford is for......

Here in AZ they use volcanic cinders on the roads.
No salt but I'm pretty sure those little 1/4 inch rocks can't be good for lower quarters when they fly off the tires.
The other part I don't like is that they generally don't clean them up afterwards so when the snow melts and the roads dry up someone drifts out of thier lane a little on the faster roads those little rocks spray your car.
Most people probably think I drive way to slow, but I'm just trying to stay back from all the crap the car in front of is throwing up.

I drive mine everywhere. Kind of a long vid but you hardly see one of these out on the weather much anymore.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4jFkubDhe4&feature=channel_video_title"]Stormy nighttime drive in old '71 Valiant - YouTube[/ame]

I drove a rust free 50,000 mile 69 Dart with a 225 for a winter (I know, dumb), car was awesome and always started, it had a tank heater in it, you plugged it in at night and the pump heated and circulated your coolant.

I drove a 73 Duster 318 for 3 winters till the frame and floors rotted out, it then got parted out and gave up it's disc brakes so I could use them in my Valiant. BTW, the Duster was the worst car I ever drove in the winter, never got any traction and I even had snow tires on the back.

I would never drive a nice old Mopar in MN during the winter, they dump too much salt on the roads and everything here is rusted.

Snow in AZ?? Guess you must be up north. No snow in east valley.. Thank God..

Here in AZ they use volcanic cinders on the roads.
No salt but I'm pretty sure those little 1/4 inch rocks can't be good for lower quarters when they fly off the tires.
The other part I don't like is that they generally don't clean them up afterwards so when the snow melts and the roads dry up someone drifts out of thier lane a little on the faster roads those little rocks spray your car.
Most people probably think I drive way to slow, but I'm just trying to stay back from all the crap the car in front of is throwing up.

Drove my Duster one season in the winter back when I lived in Massachusetts. It was my daily driver back then and I had not started working on it at that point. After 2002, Never drove it in the winters up there due to lots of salt on the roads. Since moving to North Carolina in 2007, There has been a couple "snowstorms" (if that's what they call them down here) but every time they forecast snow, the state lays down a brine mixture of salt and water to keep the roads from icing, so my car does not nor has not seen winter driving for several years.

Grew up in Jersy & drove them no matter what, but that was in the mid-80's.

-
Back