Anybody ever put a small block in a Jeep body?

-

hemichuck

Reaction score
i have a 408 that needs a home and while shopping around I found a Jeep DJ body (postal Jeep) with the sliding doors on the sides. It's 2 wheel drive and I know they originally had a 727 in them so I would need to build motor mounts and exhaust. Weighs 3400 and has an 80 inch wheelbase, can we say squirrelly?

I've seen 350s, 302s and amc 360s in jeeps.

DJ's are pretty squirrely already with the 258.

I don't know what he has in the jeep, cj or something, but at the mopar drags and car show there is a guy that has one bad fast jeep. Big tires and all, he ran some fast times and beat a lot of cars.

I was thinking it might be too much but the guy only wants $375 for the Jeep, it kind of hard to pass up. Probably handle like a fuel altered. I also found a Jeep Overlander for about a $1000. It might be a better choice.

I know that they made kits to put everything in Jeeps back in the day but never Small Block Mopar's. I don't know if it would even be worth doing but I like having stuff that nobody else is gonna show up in.

Jeeps. Gremlins both have a good size engine compartment

I'd rock a postal jeep for under four hundred bucks, no matter what was under the hood.

I put a healthy SBC in 1979 CJ5 for a guy last year. The CJ5 was a short wheel base small Jeep and that thing is very squirrely to say the least.

James

I built a 340 powered CJ-7 with a NP435 trans, 4" suspension lift, 2" body lift, fiberglass body on 36" tires, it was a handful.
2 people could lift the body on the frame, that was with the dash, steering column, seats and roll-cage, it was really light, and scary fast.

I remember seeing a YJ with a 360 LA on a website a few years ago. At one time I was considering that as a project. There is a company, something Engineering, that specializes in conversion engine mounts for putting almost any engine into anything. I think it was something like Advance Engineering or something like that.

I don't think motor mounts would be much of a challenge, exhaust maybe but anything is do able, when I was younger a couple of local guys had a 426 Hemi in a Gremlin that they raced at the drag strip, if a Hemi will fit anything else should be easy.

I had an AMC 304 in my '74 CJ5, so you'll have plenty of room...

The 304 was a total dog, and even so that joker was twitchy as all get out

-
Back