Anybody ever use a Richmond 5 speed?

-

hemichuck

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had ever used a Richmond 5 speed in their car and what are your random thoughts about the trans. I would also like to know what all was involved in installing it. I found a decent deal on a used one and am weighing the possibilities.

Hope they are better than their problematic 6 speeds... However I did have a Doug Nash 5 speed which was f***ing awesome with its close ratio and a 3:27 first gear and 1 to 1 5th gear. Richmond bought the toolings from Doug Nash and I've heard they are still the same. I ran a 2:76 rear end gear and with the 5 speed's first gear, coming out of the chute felt like 4;10's to say the least..

BTW, you've got to get it with the shifter otherwise the shifter will cost you big money

It has the Long shifter and a vertical gate shifter with it. Did they make a non syncro or pro shifted version of this?

Doug Nash did make a race version of the 5spd, no syncro's, not to be street driven, you'll wreck the tranny cuz it doesn't like to be down shifted while rolling.

You'll need to get another bell housing cuz the bolt pattern is not the same as an 833, or T-10, or top loader. 3 holes will line up, bottom left falls into space. For mine, I filled the area by welding in a chunk of aluminum, flycutting it on a milling machine and transfer punched the hole.

To put it into the car, you need to do serious tunnel surgery and make a new cross member; the body of the tranny case is too wide to fit.

Good luck!

Yeah, I had heard about the bellhousing not lining up but I have a Lakewood so they basically just had a hole with a nut welded on the inside. I was thinking about this for a Duster drag car I'm planning so I'm not sure the non syncro would be a deal breaker. I may be better off sticking with my 4 speed, since I already own it and I have a Hurst supershifter and a good Centerforce clutch already.

My buddy bought a complete Keissler 5-speed conversion for his 68 GTS Dart. We haven't gotten it running yet, but the install was pretty easy.

-
Back