Anybody have TIPM issues on your late model Mopar?

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My daily driver is a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab.
Driving to work last Wednesday everything was just fine. When I came out and went to grab some lunch:
* Rear driver and passenger door windows would not operate (front door windows operate)
* Rear cab window would not operate
* Electric door lock controls would not operate
* Horn wouldn't work
* None of the HVAC controls work
* Windshield wipers didn't work
* Check Engine light, Traction Control light, and airbag light are now illuminated on the dashboard

I had the issue diagnosed and the verdict came back that the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) has an "open condition" somewhere. For those not familiar with it, the TIPM is a glorified fuse block that almost all of the electrical power runs through for the entire vehicle.
I don't do electrical so I've got an appointment on Monday to take my truck in for repair (not the local Chrysler dealership since I don't trust them after the last debacle with their vastly overcharged repair quote). The shop has good online reviews and seem honest and reliable from talking to them.
The diagnosis came from a mobile mechanic who came out to my work and refused to charge me for the diagnosis - a pleasant surprise - since he doesn't do electrical repairs that extensive.

Had the headlight go out on the wife's Caliber. Not the bulb, not the wires, it's the TIPM. Who's the retard that came up with this?
Swapping in a junkyard unit, and the dead headlight switched sides, and the horn now honks when you lock it with the fob.

I have a 2007 Charger RT as my daily driver. Sometimes upon start up the low tire pressure light, the Traction Control light, Check engine light, and other dash lights are illuminated. I have to shut the car down and restart to clear everything.

Yep, tipms are a modern car issue, my 2011 ram one headlight ( actually) the DRL so low intensity high beam which is mandatory in Canada to have your lights on all the time day or night, anyway tipm is the issue, fortunately for me it was a easy fix, instead of driving in the day with the drl I just turn on the low beams, tipms are about 1k and not interchangeable with salvage yard units unless the donor has all the same options as the vehicle your putting into, like looking for a needle in a haystack and then you gotta hope the donor was good to begin with, the tipm can fail in many ways taking out different accessories, gotta love modern technology!

Just got a rebuilt one for my 2004 dually, but haven't installed it yet. Wipers, brake controller, dash lights, alarm system, key fob door opener and probably a couple of other things I haven't noticed yet.

20015 SRT Challenger whole tipm had to be replaced, $1100. Seems the ac fuse would only work sticking half way out, pushed in, nothing. Also all four ABS sensors have been replaced, bought a used Snap On diagnostic box just to turn the check engine lights off every week. Most of this stuff occurred one week after the extended warranty ran out. Go figure.

Wow, reading this makes me not want to buy a new chrysler product. Thanks for the tip.

The TIPM issues occurred between model years 2007-2016 from what I've read on the web.
Hopefully the replacement TIPMs are good.

The TIPM issues occurred between model years 2007-2016 from what I've read on the web.
Hopefully the replacement TIPMs are good.
I dont intend to be part of the experiment on weather or not they fixed the problem. I tend to have murphys law type luck with stuff like that.

The TIPM, which is often referred to as the "fuse box", had a similar design, but with a slightly different name/abbreviation between 2003 and 2006 or so, on our trucks. I agree with others that the circuit boards under the fuses was a bad design, which allows above-average corrosion.

-
Back