Anybody here running E85?

-

hemichuck

Reaction score
I was wondering about running e85 in race cars. What special equipment is required? What is the octane rating? What compression ratio will E85 support,and what other considerations are involved?

Yet to fire mine , but it is 12.95:1 and was built specifically for corn.
I think I am close to the top of the heap compression wise , though I have heard of closer to 14 :1.
Change your carb and make sure your fuel pump , regulators etc. are compatible.
That's pretty much it.
The benefits others have observed , running cooler being the BIG one , are what sold me.
I have read articles where it made more power than gas and it is still a bargain here.
Availability is a big issue around the country and finding a consistent blend can be a problem.
I am close enough to a couple ethanol plants that I will just buy drums and mix my own if it is too hard finding good blends.

Straight ethanol octane rating is somewhere around 105, but it is very resistant to detonation and have talked to guys that run up to 14.7:1 compression with E85 in a race engine. I don't know if that's because it runs cooler or what. Doesn't make 100% sense, but they run it that way with no issues. Make sure all your fuel system is compatible with ethanol and make sure it can handle 30% more required fuel flow. I had my aluminum fuel cell anodized just to prevent any possible corrosion problems that could stem from the ethanol. If you want that done though, good luck finding a place that will do it. The place that did mine said they will never do one again. Also, get an ethanol content analyzer to make sure you're really getting a proper mix of E85.

next race on April 19, we will have E85 in the tank...fuel systems have been upgraded to supply the volume... Have new QFT 950s ready to go..E85 at the pump here is 3.60 a gallon...and as said..running cooler in the desert heat wont hurt.

I recommend e-85 to anybody that races.We have been running it for 6yrs. in our bracket cars(71 & 73 Duster's), and love all aspects of it.I have also converted several brand X cars to it, and every combination from mild to wild picked up an average of .15 e.t. and 1-2 mph. We are relatively close to sea level, so engines up to 14.5:1 run it just fine around here.We have also seen little or no difference in performance or consistancy between e-70/e-85. If you can get it in your area I strongly suggest it, you'll love it!

-
Back