Anybody into AR-15's ?

-

Jamakin

Reaction score
Just ordered my AR should be here in a few days. Just wondering if anybody else is into them and if so what has been the best accessories you've bought

I already found the quadrail I want to buy but that is all i've decided on so far

:blob:

Never saw the necessity of a quad rail. They get way too hot and, really, how much crap do you need to hang off the front of your AR that you will actually use? Anyways, the best single accessory was a red dot scope. I like the Aimpoint M3 personally but some like the EOtechs. As for things that make it reliable, Pmags.

AR15sundevil.jpg

Never saw the necessity of a quad rail. They get way too hot and, really, how much crap do you need to hang off the front of your AR that you will actually use? Anyways, the best single accessory was a red dot scope. I like the Aimpoint M3 personally but some like the EOtechs. As for things that make it reliable, Pmags.

i like the quad rail systems because they allow the mounting of fore grips and flashlights. but for the average guy going to the range every now and then there isn't much use. or the magwell grips that slide on. those are a cheaper alternative aswell. i have the DPMS lo-pro classic and love it. havent got to acessorise it much yet though.

I always wanted one. Then my Grandpa gave me his Mini14. I love that gun so think I will not get an AR.

A scope is a nice thing to have. Though I wish I had one that let me use the guns sites too. Not that it is a big deal but would be nice in case I had to use it at night. Though I do have my other Grandpas Winchester 32 special I could use for that.

Other than that lots of ammo and a few clips are nice to have.

I am in the middle of building my ar 15. I have rock river lower and a smith and wesson upper and stock. Ammo just keeps going up and up. What weight bullet is every one shooting? I shoot 55g fmj in the mini 14 but have been told a little light for ar I am leaning towards 62g.

1/7 use 72 grain bullets for semi auto use you can't go wrong for 1/9 barrels used 55 to 62 grain all day long a Colt upper from a 6731 is hard to beat 1/9 16 inches with no flash hider is the best combination in my opinion

Stuff to add to it will always be available. Buy all the ammo you can afford before the impending ban happens. I buy used 30 round mags at the gun show, and a bag full of Mag Pul anticock followers to rebuild them with. Clean them up and install the new followers, and your good to go. Get em while the gettins good!

Yep lov them---Bushmaster 223---dpms LR-308 stainless bull barrel --Tack drivers both of them--My son just took the .223 out and is hitting 3in groups at 300 yrds with no wind--the 223 has a nikon m-223 scope and the 308 has nikon m-308 scope I LOVE THEM sweet scopes for the $$$$$$$$$$--Look up wisconsin cartridge corp-- can't beat the 1000 round price and they have Hornady xtp bullets--Steve

i like the quad rail systems because they allow the mounting of fore grips and flashlights. but for the average guy going to the range every now and then there isn't much use. or the magwell grips that slide on. those are a cheaper alternative aswell. i have the DPMS lo-pro classic and love it. havent got to acessorise it much yet though.

See, I have never liked a vertical fore grip on any rifle I have ever shot. That includes AR, AK, and HK type rifles. I shoot better, and faster, with a standard horizontal grip but that is just me. As for the light, to me, that is a big no-no. In a potential self defense situation I don't want a light that gives the bad guy(s) something to aim for that I happen to be directly behind!

I am in the middle of building my ar 15. I have rock river lower and a smith and wesson upper and stock. Ammo just keeps going up and up. What weight bullet is every one shooting? I shoot 55g fmj in the mini 14 but have been told a little light for ar I am leaning towards 62g.

I am running a 1/9 16" barrel. I use 62gr HPBT's for small groupings at the range. I use 55gr M193 ball ammo for home/self defense as it has less over-penetration (important in urban areas) with better terminal ballistics than most 62gr loads.

I'm building a retro ar for Vietnam reenacting. I'm using the flat top upper until nodak spud makes more repros.

Attachments

• image-3331387258.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 322
I built my AR. Stag lower, CMT flat-top upper, LMT BCG with KNS Perma-Pin, RRA LPK, KNS anti-rotation/anti-walk pins, RRA six-position CAR stock, RRA charging handle with PRI Big Latch, Bushmaster 14.5" M4-profile 1:9 barrel with 1.5" Izzy comp, CMT carry handle, MI front sight, YHM Specter gas block, JP FFT. Great little rifle...Nothing all that special, but built from solid parts.

I assembled the rifle at home, including the upper...Which wasn't as difficult as everyone made it out to be.

ar15-complete-small-04.jpg

Yes, the front sight is on backwards. That has since been remedied. I've also added a Magpul MIAD since that pic was taken, which I much prefer to the grip that came with the RRA LPK. After a few thousand rounds I noticed that one of the pins would crawl out one side of the lower and bind up the works, so I installed the KNS anti-walk/anti-rotation pins. I really should take better pics of my guns.

My best "accessory" has been good mags. I've got a pile of the older Colt twenty-rounders and a few PMAGs...Both have functioned flawlessly. Your best bet is to shoot...A lot. Buy a bunch of ammo and maybe think about reloading. :)

I'm contemplating putting together a 300 BLK empty upper/barrel/handguard for the rifle...I can just swap BCGs into whichever upper I want to use and re-use mags as well.

Oh, I guess I didn't mention that I built the one in my pic. I built it for my wife and she wanted really lightweight as she said my HK93 was too heavy. So, it is nothing fancy. Just built to be reliable and minute-of-man accurate. I built it using a Sun Devil pictogram billet lower, A4 upper w/forward assist, 1/9" chrome lined LTWT 16" barrel, chrome carrier, A2 birdcage, CAR front hand guards with M4 butt stock and A2 grip all in coyote tan, and a Badger tac-latch. Still have an AR15.com Bad-*** safety to install.

-
Back