Anybody know anything about subwoofers?

-

Tincup

Reaction score
I just finished installing a complete Alpine system in my Dart, and I'm having trouble with the sub. I have a 12" Alpine type r sub, with a Alpine mono block amp, it works, but it is only putting out about 1/10 the volume it should be. I hooked up my Ipod directly to it and it cranks. I've triple checked the settings in the head unit ( alpine idx-303 ) and everything seams right, what am I missing?

try and disconnect one rca cable from the amp at a time.. and see if it works better everyonce in awhile i run into this i dunot know why not really a stereo guy but worth a shot also did you check the rcas for damage?

if it works good plugged directly into your ipod ( I am assuming you used an ipod to rca adapter?) but not good when hooked to your stereo.....I would first ask what outputs you have the rca's plugged into in the back of your head unit? you need to make sure you have it on subwoofer outputs (or rear if there is no designated sub out labeling).

also depending on your head unit you should have multiple subwoofer controls for the volume and so on.

there isnt much to it but I am guessing that its one of the 2 things I mentioned.

As Dusterdude indicated, if your amp worked well when plugged directly into your Ipod, then your issue is probably before the amp. Since you said the output settings on the deck are correct, I'd check the RCA's (tightly connected and plugged into correct preamp output on deck).

Deck is a idx-303, but what about the amp?

Just realized that the preamp signal from the ipod could be different from the deck. It's possible the gain setting on the amp may need to be adjusted to accommodate the deck's signal. Don't want to go too high, though, because you don't want to introduce clipping into the signal. Some info that might help:

1. What device are you using to connect the ipod to the amp directly?
2. What are the current gain settings on the amp?
3. Amp model/specs.

I also thought of that.....but if he used what I think he did (rca to ipod adapter...."same prong that a set of headphones would have")

and he connected it to the same rca ports that he was using when he had the headunit running to the amp.....then there should be no difference ....the amp would output the same either or.

is the headunit new or used? have you had a system hooked up to it before? I ask because its POSSIBLE that the rca outputs could be defective.... but you of course need to double check and make sure the rca connections fit well and our in the correct spot.

did you try running your ipod adapter directly to the input rca's on your amp? or did you plug them into your rca cables that you are using from the deck to the amp? .....reason I ask is that by using the cables to plug your adapter into it would rule out rather your cables are defective or not. ( I have seen the prongs inside the ends of the rca cables loose and seen the wires on the backsides of the terminals snapped off and I have seen cuts or breaks in the wires.....just a thought).

Sounds like a gain adjustment to me also. Most, if not all head units should have an electronic gain adjustment of sorts in the settings, as well as a simple adjustment on the amp.

Just found this http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_iDA-X303_EN.pdf

its shows that your head unit has a subwoofer ON/OFF setting.

1. press and hold IMPRINT for 2 seconds to activate audio selection.

2.Turn the double action encoder to select the SUBW mode then press enter.

3.Turn the double action encoder to select Subwoofer ON/OFF then press enter.

in the same area of the settings are the subwoofer volume settings and output settings and what not too.

Also I see there is a SYS1 setting and a SYS2 setting ....I read somewhere that one of the settings forces the subwoofer to maintain once specific volume even when the volume is raised on the headunit itself.

there is alot of other info in that link I posted also....hopfully it is of some use ( you probably already have the same info in your manual) but I figured it wouldnt hurt to mention it and give you a couple other things to look into on top of what I and others have already mentioned.

I also thought of that.....but if he used what I think he did (rca to ipod adapter...."same prong that a set of headphones would have")

and he connected it to the same rca ports that he was using when he had the headunit running to the amp.....then there should be no difference ....the amp would output the same either or.

Sometimes different sources have different pre-amp voltage levels. For example, my Clarion deck has a 6v pre-amp signal whereas the Alpine deck he indicated has 2v pre-amp outputs. A higher pre-amp voltage allows you to set the amp gains lower. The ipod likely has a different pre-amp voltage than the deck (Full disclosure: I have absolutely no idea what the ipod signal level would be).

That being said, your later post about the subwoofer ON/OFF setting seems to be a very likely culprit as that wouldn't be present in the ipod signal. Not only that, that setting is probably so buried in the menus of the headunit that it would be extremely easy to miss. You've done some research!

Tincup has a pretty kick-*** car going - it deserves some serious tunes as well! :rock:

Sometimes different sources have different pre-amp voltage levels. For example, my Clarion deck has a 6v pre-amp signal whereas the Alpine deck he indicated has 2v pre-amp outputs. A higher pre-amp voltage allows you to set the amp gains lower. The ipod likely has a different pre-amp voltage than the deck (Full disclosure: I have absolutely no idea what the ipod signal level would be).

That being said, your later post about the subwoofer ON/OFF setting seems to be a very likely culprit as that wouldn't be present in the ipod signal. Not only that, that setting is probably so buried in the menus of the headunit that it would be extremely easy to miss. You've done some research!

Tincup has a pretty kick-*** car going - it deserves some serious tunes as well! :rock:

ahhh I did not think of the different output voltages.......I know alot about stereos but I don't claim to be any expert lol.

I would think its probably something simple causing the problem.....hopefully the link I posted earlier is of use.

-
Back