Anybody know anything about Wi-Fi?

-

/6 Matt

30 Degrees Crooked
Reaction score
I have a netgear wireless router for my computer and I've used it to run both me and my sister's PS3's. I bought a Belkin wireless USB Receiver for my sister's computer so that she can have wireless internet on her computer too. I installed the software to her computer and plugged in the Receiver and restarted the computer. The problem is, the Receiver can't find the network. The reciever won't find any networks, even the water company's network from across the road. Am I doing something wrong here?

have tried to reboot the usb? unplug and replug.

I know you tried powering down but did you power off the modem as well. If not power everything down again, wait a few minutes....plug in modem.....wait a bit....then 1 puter at a time.....good luck...

After your reboot do you see the wireless software is running?
If it is did you run there wizard?
You should choose what protocol to use and is the home connection encrypted?
I will need a little more info to hook you up if you have time

I know you tried powering down but did you power off the modem as well. If not power everything down again, wait a few minutes....plug in modem.....wait a bit....then 1 puter at a time.....good luck...
So power down everything? The modem, router and the reciever?

After your reboot do you see the wireless software is running?
If it is did you run there wizard?
You should choose what protocol to use and is the home connection encrypted?
I will need a little more info to hook you up if you have time
After I rebooted my sister's computer, the wireless software was running. I ran a wizard when I first downloaded the software. Is there another wizard to connect to a network too? I haven't been prompted to choose any protocol, although I have no idea what I would choose anyways. The home connection is running a WPA/WPA2 encryption.

sometimes the problem is ..the new software is trying to control the wifi card...and windows software is trying to control the card....one of them has to be disabled...

sometimes the problem is ..the new software is trying to control the wifi card...and windows software is trying to control the card....one of them has to be disabled...
how do I do that? Sorry, I'm really not a techy. I figured this would be as easy as using the router was. Plug **** up, run software and boom! But no...

So power down everything? The modem, router and the reciever?
When my junk crashes it works for me. Power everything off, then power up modem.....router....and then everything else.

Once it is correctly configured then powering down will reset it.
So here is what you can do
If you know the pass key just enter it and if you dont
Since you have encryption enabled so temporarily disable it.
then run the wizard again on your sisters machine
I will try the easiest ways first

I would use the software that came with wireless utility rather than the default Microsoft software so make your configurations there.
I can walk you thru it but it may take a while since were doing it over the net, its much easier to show you.

You can go to your machine and get the settings then go to your sisters machine and load it,
let me know where your at as we go and we can have it up soon enough.
Once you see the available networks its easy from there
In order for you to be able to see them a few things need to be in order
All wireless and sharing services need to be running.
It would be nice if I knew how the machine is set up

70aarcuda is right, or at least could be right.

Is there in icon by the clock?
Either 5 bars, or another that displays wireless network type info when the pointer is placed over it?

do this-

Start- run- and type "cmd", then when the window opens, type "ipconfig"

See if you are getting an IP address from the linksys.
it should be 192.168.x.x (maybe 192.168.1.1)
if it starts with 169 it's getting that by default and isn't seeing the AP (access point- linksys)

Start there, and see.

...also is it XP or Win7?

-
Back