Anybody know what this pigtail is for?

-

rklein383

Reaction score
I thought maybe it was for a map light, but the ends don't mate up with the map light connection.

Thanks,
Rod

Attachments

• IMG_1589.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 311
That one end with the tab on it reminds me of the starter relay harness.

Yep NSS for the single wire and the other one (3 plug connector), I want to say is for the back up lights. Its crosses from one harness to the other near where the bulkhead connectors are located.

Looks like I will be selling it. Do you know what years it is for? My relay in my 69 383-s does not have that connection.

Rod

it can fit any number of cars that came with an automatic. even my 77 charger had one that looked just like that. I don't believe it will work for the 74 models because of the seatbelt interlock, though you might be able to use it to bypass it. if I had to guess I would say 68 through 73 at least.

What are the other color of the wires in it?

I am leaning towards its a neutral safety switch pigtail. I don't think my 69 had this. Did this start in 70?

Long single wire is brown with yellow tracer. The other two are black and black with gray tracer.

70 to 72 NSS (Partial). looks like 73+ started blk/blk/brn-yellow trace.

I know My 69 is not like it as the voilet and blk-trace go directly to the wiper bulkhead connector and solid brown goes to the gnd connection on the starter relay.

I know My 69 is not like it as the voilet and blk-trace go directly to the wiper bulkhead connector and solid brown goes to the gnd connection on the starter relay.

Is your 383-s an auto car?

starter relay to NSS wiring

That one end with the tab on it reminds me of the starter relay harness.

Yep NSS for the single wire and the other one (3 plug connector), I want to say is for the back up lights. Its crosses from one harness to the other near where the bulkhead connectors are located.

I am leaning towards its a neutral safety switch pigtail.

im pretty sure 3 people wouldn't bullshit you. we don't make this up

Guess it could be a post mid November 68 as well. They changed and I have not seen one but pre november the brown to the starter relay did not have a yellow trace (Auto only)! 69 M/T did not have neutral start or clutch switch right? 70 was the first year for the clutch switch and it was dark green to the starter relay ground, correct? Weird thing is none of the factory wiring diagrams for any of those years show that 3 prong connector which looks like the fan switch to heater box resistor connector but the wire colors don't match up.

My 69 FSM shows that brown wire from the relay to the nss on automatics or to the sw on the M/T witch appears to be a combination sw for nss and back-ups.On the drawing,it has two prongs, side by side.

EDIT this is not right, as pointed out in post24.
In fact, that brown wire has nothing to do with the M/T switch.

im pretty sure 3 people wouldn't bullshit you. we don't make this up

I looked on some wiring diagrams for later a-bodies and it showed the same color scheme as my pigtail. The one leg does go to the starter relay, as per the drawing. That good tip led me to look at the wiring diagrams. I think it was for a 71 dart.

Just for curiosity, how about a pic of your relay?

Here is a pic of my relay. I have had this car for 25 years and honestly don't remember if I put in a new relay or if it is original to the car. My car is a four speed.

Rod

Attachments

• IMG_1590.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 127
First thx for taking the time.
Your relay looks like every one I ever saw 67 up.
The terminal at the bottom right; is there a spade paddle on there? It kinda looks either missing or broken but theres not quite enough angle to tell for sure.Thats the terminal that wants your pigtail.
That terminal has to be grounded in order for cranking to occur. I assume it is somehow grounded. Is that a solder blob on there? between the terminal and the case?
If yes, that would do it. It would also mean that the engine would be able to be cranked with the tranny in gear.

The switch on the M/T was back-up only was it not?

Black/white trace is back-up feed bulkhead C and reverse indicator through bulkhead Z on reverse. Violet was +12v from bulkhead D. Engine side of firewall.

69 starter relay for M/T had no gnd terminal I think.

-
Back