Anybody let High School body shop

-

rc14

jr member
Reaction score
My son is taking Paint and Body classes next year at his High School and wondering if i should let them do the body work for us on the Dart, but not sure how good the work would be. has any other members have tried this. I know it would be a differant school but. i need to check the teacher out first. what do you think?

Usually a good teacher is important.My mechanics teacher is great. If I were to every do body work on a car, I'd turn to him first.He built a shebly clone, and did alot of the body work himself. I'd definitely talk to the teacher before making the decision.

I can't comment on high school shops but I went to auto body school at Yellowstone Technical College and the work that was done by students was closely supervised and the workmanship was probably better that what was done in a "for profit" shop. I'm guessing it will all depend on the level of supervision and guidance by the instructor and, to some extent, the interest of the students who do the work.

Can't be any worse then what I'm doing in my garage with no training and no supervision. I agree that you need to sit down with the teacher and find out how closely they are monitored.

I had a local High School repair my Suburban after a slight "Fender Bender". I expected them to fill the dent with bondo and slap on a closely matching paint, but the y went much further. The fabricated and welded in a repair patch, filled, primed and painted the entire rear quarter (on a Suburban, thats a lot of paint!). I paid for supplies and gave the class a Pizza party.

It depends on how good the instructer and students are, and I wouldn't expect concours restoration, but if you feel good after meeting with them and talking with the instructer about what you are looking for, I'd go for it

I attended a Highschool/Voc auto body class in the late 80's and helped restore a 66 mustang conv. I have always loved my Mopar however when I see that 66 mustang still today at local car shows in central indiana it makes me feel apart of something and brings back those good days! I would check out work the teacher has supervised in the past school years, most keep pictures from years prior.... Challenging kids with somthing they love could make out for a nice car!

However it could take them most of the year on larger projects, and most schools have a morning and afternoon class so you might ask if the other class would be working on your car! also some class time will take up some of your sons time early in his first year!

My buddy had a 70's camaro done while we were in school. Our class did most of the body work and one of the guys from our class painted the car. The guy who painted the car, his family ownes a body shop in town. I can remeber some screw ups that we had to fix along they way.

I think they can do a better job then i will, i have done alot of sheet metal work and i have a good friend that is a paint and body man for 20 plus years that would supervise me. i am not in a hurrry so if it takes all school and somebody else does the body work that would be great if its a real good job.

Twenty years ago I took a High School Voc. Auto Body. I took in a pretty clean 74' Nova. We replaced a damaged quarter panel, patched the front dog legs, and then went crazy! We dechromed everything, smoothed the bumpers, shaved the door handles and trim, and shot everything with Porche "Indian red"! The monochromatic look was the in thing and the car was a sucess. It wasn't a $10,000 dollar paint job, but the body work was well done and the car was a nice cruiser. The teacher is the key. He allowed us to go so far so we could see what could be done. The price was right. For $800 dollars I got hundreds of manhours and paint!

I would like my friend to do the paint but the body work is what i am worried about. and i am not sure if they would like that but we will see i plan on looking up the teacher and see what he thinks my son is all for it.

-
Back