Anybody re-cover their own dash pad?

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
I picked up a clapped out dash pad at a local swap meet. It has a few cracks/splits. I was thinking I could strip the old vinyl and foam off, down to the core. Once stripped to the core I could glue on some new foam and possibly new vinyl or other fabric (don't want to spend $200-300 on a new pad). I know it won't be original (or even close to original), but it will be going on top of a custom dash panel/instrument cluster anyway. Has anyone attempted anything like this? I have seen the carbon fiber a member did awhile ago, but I think I would like a "soft" dash pad. Let's see what you've done or throw out some ideas.

Thanks

Dan

OK...what I did was I paid the $20 or so, for the plastic overlay. I'm actually happy with it. BUT, after I made my own replacement sail boards, recovered my headliner (the vinyl covered cardboard that was used in 73) I thought I could have gotten some plain vinyl at a fabric supply store and some 3M adhesive and some clothes pins and a hair dryer and recovered mine.

These are the only pics I have off hand.

Reassembly11.jpg

Reassembly13.jpg

Reassembly22.jpg

Reassembly45.jpg

what is this plastic overlay?? is it one peice?? where can you get these?seems like a perfect solution for my dash pad

Looks Like A Dash Cap [hardens-60-65 Bucs Or So] Have Had Good Results With 2 Of Em, Cant Hardly Tell Difference From New Pad

I've had notions about reupholstering a dash pad and possibly using the templeted vynil sections of donor door panels. Never attempted this.
Too easy to look nearly new with a cover.

Used a cover and the bare core on my 73 Dart. I securely glued the core to the cover, then half filled the inside with spray foam insulation. (The stuff grows about 2/3 again its size, so putting more in there is only making work for yourself. Make sure dash pad stays on core. The foam will force it apart if not secured well. I used C-clamps and some wood shims to keep it together and not scar the plastic.) You see pics of the finished product under Member Restorations, Resurrected Junk.

Anyone use anything other than a "cap"? Maybe some fabric, suede, leather, vinyl, or whatever?
Just kickin' around some ideas!

yep, I used tweed. I just did the spray foam thing to fill in the cracks, then cut/sanded down, spray glue and some tweed later...looks awesome:
page 3 of my cardomain has a couple of pics

I suggest you consider UV resistance when choosing material. Many years ago I layed a piece of carpet on th package shelf. A year later I rolled the window down and the wind blew carpet lint all through the interior.

-
Back