Anybody read "Best Damn Garage In Town"??

-

JBurch

Reaction score
Wife bought me the book for Christmas, almost done with part 1 of 3 "My so called life".....so far a funny, funny book, even if it's only 50% true he did some **** in his life.

I read the whole thing years ago...Smokey was an interesting guy, for sure!

Smokey Yunick bent the rules to fit whatever he was building, he was a funny, funny man.

Last edited:
I am proud to have met the man back in the mid 80s at what was then called the southern SEMA show at Speed Distributors in Atlanta. He was a hoot and if it's in that book, I "just bet" it's true. Got to meet a lot of legends then. That used to be a really good show.

In the early 80s after reading the book I called his shop looking for any of his sb chevy creations for my 68 Chevelle. His garage was on Beach st in Daytona right up the road from where I lived. The guy that answered the phone lightly laughed and said no.

What about the homogenizer he designed and built for the Dodge Omni that got 50+ miles to the gallon? I heard GM bought the patent and never produced it

Last edited:
I was sad to see them tear the garage down, I think it should have been a historical landmark.

read the book and enjoyed it very much, liked the parts bout being in war and later exploring south america best! ol chevy wouldnt run a bit if it wont for smokey!!

-
Back