Anybody run PRW Steel Shaft Rocker Arm System?

-
I ordered a set a number of years ago and sent them back. The rollers were pitted like there were imperfections in the metal before they were machined. Hopefully their quality control has improved.

Well....that's disheartening, lol

I just have a hard time justifying $700+ for rollers. Ugh.

My opinion these are the best "on the cheap" roller rockers

Comp Cam pro magnum roller rockers #1622-16

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-1622-16

they are not cheap cheap but quality is good and cheaper than other higher end stuff...and about as "cheap" as I would go....here they are on a pair of Eddie's I recently sold
[SOLD] - Edelbrock performer 6077 60775 heads head comp cam pro magnum roller rockers 1622-16 & pushrods
Yeah, COMP is my last resort, but the BB set is $700+. :BangHead:

Ive got a set on a 440 in my buddys car. We had too hone all of the bushings, they were super tight. Also debur. wet sand and polish the shafts if you can. Decent stuff, but you arnt going to just bolt them on without some work

Mango,

I just had a new set put in my 360 build. The back side of the rocker had to be ground down to clear the spring retainer. They show some evidence of clearance from PRW but it was not enough. Other than that so far so good.

FYI,

put the word out for a used set on here in the wanted section....maybe somebody is looking to get rid of some
I may yet do that when I decide/commit to a rocker setup. Next big $$$ item is pistons and the rest of the rod bearings. Then I can send the motor out to be built.

Mango,

I just had a new set put in my 360 build. The back side of the rocker had to be ground down to clear the spring retainer. They show some evidence of clearance from PRW but it was not enough. Other than that so far so good.

FYI,
Appreciate the Feedback!

I've used them both. I will now always go for the Comp Cams rockers if choosing between the two.

Inexpensive quality aluminum? These are made by Harland Sharp.

Mancini Racing Aluminum Roller Rocker Arm Kit
Not familiar with Harland. Those looked like the Ebay Special Rockers, so I didn't consider them. I honestly could care less if they are steel or aluminum, I'm after durability, if you know what I mean.

Mango,

FYI,
Been there ,done that. The builder that prepped my heads and sold me the PRW's replaced the springs and retainers with beehives. Problem solved. I just had it apart to replace the Crane retro lifters with Hughes rollers and the rockers looked great

20150914_183830.jpg

As mentioned above, the shafts need polished also the shim kit doesn't fit well. The one kit I got had a wrong ball end size on the one.

That's a hell of a deal then, $200 less than the branded version! Thanks!
The difference is, the Mancini rockers do not have the roller fulcrums. The aluminum body rides directly on the rocker shaft. Many people prefer the aluminum body on the shaft because they fear the rollers coming apart and spreading needle bearing s throughout the engine.

Mango,

FYI,

If you had to clearance the rocker for spring clearance your geometry is off.

I use the PRW stainless. They weren't tight. They actually fit and the ratio is correct.

I don't care whose rocker you use, you will need to correct the geometry. Go to B3 racing engines and get his correction kit.

I think *THINK* B3 sells PRW and several other brands of rockers.

Spend the time to look at the B3 web site. It will save you time and money in the long run.

I've got PRW 1.6 stainless rockers on my 340. They work well. You've gotta inspect the hell out of them before installing, but you should with any parts you buy IMO.

I used the PRW aluminum ones on my 340 had to clearance and change to Harland Sharp adjusters other than that OK.

I put 5 years and 20k on the last set of PRW 1.6 ratio stainless before they had to be replaced , they were from the early batches that had issues with the shafts and tolerances , don't know if the shafts failed and ate the bushings or the bushings failed and ate the shafts but my engine builder showed them to PRW and they went into the warehouse and hand picked me a replacement set , shipped to my door free of charge . It pays to deal with reputable people most of the complaints I have heard have been from guys that bought discounted sets off Ebay and they wonder why they aren't up to snuff . I run beehives and about as much cam as you can safely run with a beehive spring , cylinder pressures are over 190 and this motor has seen 9000 rpm without eating the valve train , it won't ever see that again but still they are a good rocker , talk to B3 and see what they have to say about roller shaft rockers verses bushed shaft rockers ,then check out the geometry pictures of the Harland sharp and Comp rockers in his tech articles , you will laugh your *** off at the guys telling you to spring for the big buck units .
PS as far as geometry goes dump the ball end adjusters and go for the cup style adjuster they shorten the distance to the fulcrum which helps with pushrod geometry .As was said before if you have to clearance your geometry is way off .

-
Back