Anybody running a Comp cams 268?

-

greenmonsta79

Reaction score
Anybody have a Comp cams 268 Camshaft? I was debating running it, looks good my main concern is would I have to run a stall convertor with it?? I just sent my 05 PCM off to hotwireauto yesterday to get my new wiring harness and have the PCM re-programmed, I figured I could have them tune the PCM while they have it for the Comp 268 Cam, whats needed for sure beehive springs and pushrods? Motor has 3k miles so I think the lifters would be alright to run, I will be running a set of TTI headers as well, and will be running a Diablo 05-10 Intune, I would like to make about 400 HP flywheel does this combo look pheasable??

The 268 is a good cam. Makes for a great sounding exhaust. You will see a nice power gain. On the converter a 2800 stall is plenty. (don't know what you currently have) as this is a fairly common build on dodgetalk. Ane 400 FWHP should be about right. But you have headers and such so I'm guessing it will be slightly higher.

On the valve springs pick up 16 6.1 exhaust springs and install them on the intake and exhaust valves of the 5.7 and you will be good to go. You will also need to run 6.1 pushrods, as the 268 has the same base circle as the 6.1 cam it will help keep pushrod length in check, and minimize rocker noise. (same as a loose rocker on the 318)

I don't have a convertor, I was kind of hoping the cam would not be radical enough to justify a convertor. Who makes the best convertor at a decent price? Thanks

It's all out of a 05' Ram 2wd. Transmission is a 545rfe, I talked to Chris over at hotwireauto and he said it should not need a tune? Looks like a 2800 convertor is $1200!! I think if I have to run a convertor I will stay with the stock cam, too pricey IMO I would pay $500.00 for a convertor but not $1200

I did the 268, and all the 6.1 springs and stuff just like was mentioned. It was a easy job except had to get a special valve spring tool. The usual on engine tool didnt work around the hemi head...

As far as converter goes, if i recall comp advertised it as "doesnt need a converter"... Maybe call them or do some lookin around. But thats what i remember.

My car doesnt run yet, so i cant say for sure about power, sound, or need for a converter (i did a 2800 or so anyway in my 727)

Dont reuse lifters unless they are rollers. Doesnt matter how old they are.

Also, some guys just run the 6.1 cam same basic specs, but a little tamer idle and cruising. May help with the converter issue. I would think a tune would be necessary... I thing i got everything to do the swap from moparsupercenter.com they have the best prices on springs and stuff, and it says right with the springs what to order with it... They also have the 6.1 cams for way cheap...

It's all out of a 05' Ram 2wd. Transmission is a 545rfe, I talked to Chris over at hotwireauto and he said it should not need a tune? Looks like a 2800 convertor is $1200!! I think if I have to run a convertor I will stay with the stock cam, too pricey IMO I would pay $500.00 for a convertor but not $1200

$1200 who did you call? Look up a co
Play called edge converters. Or a complany called circle d. I personally ran edge. But a bunch if guys are running the circle d. Both are ge
Rear and way under $1200.

-
Back