Anybody use one of these water pumps?

-

Krooser

Building Chinese Free Engines since 1959...
Reaction score
Got a friend who has used them on his WISSOTA late model with good results... anyone else have an opinion?

Seems like this would eliminate the need for me to modify the pump and timing cover to improve the water flow by shimming the space between the timing cover and the impeller.

1431800 - Mopar 318-360 1970-91, Block-to-Hub 5.550", As-Cast

No, but I will if I decide I need to. The cast iron closed impeller (identical to a utility water pump) with the curved vanes is worlds ahead of any other engine water pump built. That design should move exponentially more water as the rpm is increased.

If my memory serves correctly, this is what I'm running on my 318,

Milodon Mechanical Water Pumps 16250

a-high-volume-water-pump-aluminum-19.jpg

and I have the Flow Kooler for my 360.

FlowKooler Hi-Flow Mechanical Water Pumps 1700

bra-1700_uj.jpg

Those are also very good pumps. IIRC, FlowKoolers max out around 3500 rpm before droppping off. The other thing I like about the PRW is where the housing is also shaped like a matching volute to the impeller to channel water into the block. I’m thinking the Milodon is also made a lot like the PRW, too. I also suspect these pumps work better over a wider range of rpm with under driven pulleys, being they would probably start to cavitate when rpm is increased after reaching peak flow.

Since I'm running methanol cooling really won't be an issue (I hope)... I was thinking using a better quality pump would be better for my race motor because of the higher rpm.

I wish Stewart made a Mopar pump. I put one ony kids SBC B- mod and that deal could never hit 200F even with a bunch of restarts ( which often contribute to a hot engine when running gas).

I'll ask my buddy Chris if he had any issues with his...I believe he was also running methanol in his car.

I end up using the prw after comparing the two, the prw i think is an Edelbrock knock off.

20200412_185536.jpg

I'm a huge fan of the volute housing and the closed impellor, if I hadn't already bought enough bearings/seals/impellors to build two short nose pumps before I saw one of these, I'd have one right now.

The side by side on the Edelbrock and prw make it pretty clear that they share the same dna.
008877_v1.jpg
1431800__67720.1495815854.jpg

Last edited:
I end up using the prw after comparing the two, the prw i think is an Edelbrock knock off.

View attachment 1715506036
The pump on the right of your photo does look an Edelbrock water pump.
upload_2020-4-12_10-10-27.png

upload_2020-4-12_10-11-22.png

(they do not come with the stainless fittings. I bought those seperately)

You may find casting interference when installing.
upload_2020-4-12_10-13-57.png

Doing a Google search I found at least four similar designs.

In the past I've got welded a plate to the timing cover which closes up the space between the impeller and the cover increasing efficient movement of the coolant. But the flow path in these newer pumps also looks better.

In the past I've got welded a plate to the timing cover which closes up the space between the impeller and the cover increasing efficient movement of the coolant. But the flow path in these newer pumps also looks better.
I had stewart make two pumps for my stock car. You have to send them a core housing and they put a different impeller in it.

Yes your correct about the interference, had to die grind that hose stop away otherwise it hits one of the timming cover bolts that i also halved the head of (arp 12p).
I exchanged e-mails with edelbrock tech about this including photos. They seemed appreciative but seems like nothing has happened to address it. :(

If you ever see an aluminum casting with a drivers side inlet that would make life easier for everyone with pre-70 cars and/or who want to run a 6 valve mechanical pump.

If you ever see an aluminum casting with a drivers side inlet that would make life easier for everyone with pre-70 cars and/or who want to run a 6 valve mechanical pump.
You might try sending a housing to Stewart.

I have a PRW water pump and am experiencing an interference fit with the casting around the impeller and my timing chain covers. My timing chain covers are from 1980 to 1983 318’s.
I can do some “massaging” for clearance...... No big deal but, has anyone else experienced this?

I have a PRW water pump and am experiencing an interference fit with the casting around the impeller and my timing chain covers. My timing chain covers are from 1980 to 1983 318’s.
I can do some “massaging” for clearance...... No big deal but, has anyone else experienced this?

Check posts 9 and 12, both referenced interference, not sure if it's the area you're having an issue with.

-
Back