Anybody use the 440Source A/C body oil pan?

-

72Duster440

Reaction score
Like it says, I'm looking to swap out pans to gain a little more ground clearance. I currently have a Milodon 7 qt but it's sits right around 3" off the ground.

I came across this one from 440 source, it would gain me an extra 1.25" of ground clearance, but I'm curious if anyone has tried it and if it really does fit and clear the pitman arm. My Milodon pan was heavily massaged to clear it and I would like an option that just bolts in. The added thickness of this pan is nice too, incase it doesn't bump against something.

Oil Pan - 6 quart - A or C body with tie rod relief - EXTRA THICK

Thanks. No issues with pitman arm/steering clearance?
No issues on my car- i was running later style k frame and big bolt pattern brakes from a '74 Valiant. Also, manual steering.
(I'm talking in past tense now because I switched over to a QA1 k member and now have a deep Milodon pan because I'm racing this car more now than anticipated when I first put it together)

Thanks. No issues with pitman arm/steering clearance?
Here is a picture from last year that might give you an idea of how low it hangs. If it was below the K member, it wasnt by much. ZERO issues with steering. I even ran a cheapo diaper on it at the track with no issues.

20230525_204623_resized.jpg

Awesome, thanks for the pic! I run the 7 quart Milodon pan because it used to be a racer, it makes me nervous on the street.

Looks like this one will be perfect.

There are no clearance problems if you are running 73-up steering parts. There may be clearance issues with early steering parts.

I ordered the pan, we'll find out. I run a spool mount cross member, but still have the '72 steering parts.

Here is a picture from last year that might give you an idea of how low it hangs. If it was below the K member, it wasnt by much. ZERO issues with steering. I even ran a cheapo diaper on it at the track with no issues.

View attachment 1716193347

Which style steering were you running? The 72 and older or 73 and newer? It's not a big deal if I need to track down a 73 and newer centerlink to swap if its needed, my idler arm could stand to be replaced anyway.

Which style steering were you running? The 72 and older or 73 and newer? It's not a big deal if I need to track down a 73 and newer centerlink to swap if its needed, my idler arm could stand to be replaced anyway.
I have the 73- newer. I basically had robbed the entire K frame, brakes and steering from a '74 Valiant.

OK, thanks. I'll keep my eye out for a 73+ centerlink then in case I need to make the swap to clear the pan. My concern with that will now be header clearance to steering if I do switch. Lol.

OK, thanks. I'll keep my eye out for a 73+ centerlink then in case I need to make the swap to clear the pan. My concern with that will now be header clearance to steering if I do switch. Lol.
Yeah, I'm running fenderwell headers, so header clearance wasn't really a concern for me. I have a 70 340 Dart Swinger - and I am also running the later steering and brakes on that car. The small block TTI's rub ever slightly on I think the passenger side where the idle or inner tie rod is. I built the car in the early 2000's - and just let it rub and clearance itself! Not sure how the Big block TTIs will be for you.

For what its worth, I went with the Mancini package as I needed a pump and pickup as well anyway. Fit amazingly well. I do have 73 steering on my 71, not sure how much of a difference that made. Quite happy.

Mancini A-Body Oil Pan Power Package

I saw that kit as well, thier oil pan by itself was a little cheaper than 440 Source as well. With how low my car sits, I like the idea of the thicker pan that 440 Source has. Glad to hear it fit!! I'm hoping to swap it out with the engine in the car. Not sure if it's doable because of the pickup tube though.

Yeah, I'm running fenderwell headers, so header clearance wasn't really a concern for me. I have a 70 340 Dart Swinger - and I am also running the later steering and brakes on that car. The small block TTI's rub ever slightly on I think the passenger side where the idle or inner tie rod is. I built the car in the early 2000's - and just let it rub and clearance itself! Not sure how the Big block TTIs will be for you.

I have the old Mazzolini / Pro Parts semi fenderwell headers. They were massaged to clear my current steering, maybe the 73+ style will actually fit better. I'll have to get underneath and see. Based on pictures, it appears the 73+ center link is a little lower than the 72 style.

I have the Mancini pan on mine which I believe is the same as the 440 source pan. I had to slightly clearance the oil pan for the idler arm to clear when the steering was at full lock. This is with a DC k frame and the original steering linkage from my 71 Demon. The attached pic is prior to the pan being massaged.

IMG_1963.jpeg

Thanks. I have the DC K member as well, so it should be the same setup as yours. Was there a lot to clearance, or just a few swings with the hammer?

Thanks. I have the DC K member as well, so it should be the same setup as yours. Was there a lot to clearance, or just a few swings with the hammer?
It took a fair amount of solid swings with a good sized hammer.

Glad I mocked it up before assembly and paint!

We also recently changed my son's steering over to the later due to a bad idler arm on his car. It's amazing how much more clearance there is for everything, including the passenger side head pipe (B-body HP manifolds).

There's also this from Van's Auto. Although the dent in the pan is smaller than the 440 Source and Mancini pan, it appears to to be dented in further. For whatever the heck that's worth.

I got around to installing the new oil pan when I did my cam swap. I ran into the same issue as Fast340Cuda, even with swapping to the new 73+ style centerlink. I had to dent the pan about the same as he did to get it to clear the idler arm. I also had to dent a driverside header tube to clear the new TRE location on the centerlink. Kinda bummed I had to smash up the pan, since it was advertised as working in a big block a body, but it's kind of expected when everything is not stock.

-
Back