Anyone a Heat Press or sreen printer

-

MeMikeJr.

Reaction score
I am thinking about starting a side job in screen printing! Anyone out therethats does this I can ask some questions...

I've been in the screen printing business since 2002. We own a large shop out here in California. We started on our patio in 2002. Now we have 4 machines and do a little over 40,000 pieces a month...what do you want to know?

Well I am trying to figure out if heat press and transfers will be a firts step or should it be a 2 color screen printer

Well I am trying to figure out if heat press and transfers will be a firts step or should it be a 2 color screen printer
If I remember correctly you have allot of hours doing this Mike 8)
Could you do this in your shop out back ?

My boyfriend worked for a screen printer for years and has done shirts for some of our friends bands in the garage. From what I know, the main thing is to get professional quality supplies. Ink, screens, blocking agent, etc. The shirts wind up looking pretty half a**ed if you use the stuff from the craft store. Other than that, start up can be very inexpensive. You can make 1 to 2 color shirts for businesses and stuff without having to invest a huge amount of money on the big expensive equipment. You just need the shirts, supplies, and the ability to create graphics on the computer....
I would invest in doing screens rather than investing in the heat press and transfers. Doesn't make sense to me to start down a path unless that's the direction you want to travel in. Just my 2 cents...
If you have any other specific questions let me know and I can ask the bf when he gets home from work.

Locally here, most people are buying products that are screen printed over the heat transfer method.
The screen printers can do the shirts cheaper than I can transfer them. They also have better colors available unless you have a sub-dye printer and then do the heat transfer.
With the transfer method, you need a vinyl cutter, weed it and then transfer that to the shirt with a heat press. Each color would need to be weeded and applied to the shirt. (unless you have sub-dye, then printed and apply once)

IMO Sub-dye is awesome; but screen printers can do it faster and cheaper also multiple runs are easier.

I recently ventured into the vinyl business and purchased a vinyl cutting machine.

you will need to have some good skills with computer graphics software for one.

the programs can get VERY pricey.

The machines can get VERY pricey.

and as mentioned before you would need to "weed" through your binyl and then go from there.

that is if you go the route mentioned and incorporate a vinyl cutter into part of the t-shirt making process.

I would still say go for it and see how things go for you....at the very least you can say you tried!.

I did not know a thing about this kind of stuff and the different way's to go about it till know :thumbrig:
MeMikeJr. has worked for a press company"small in house" on the side If remember right :-k.
Mike has his foot in the door with Schools being that he has been a teacher/couch/referee and a good reputation in all walks of life.
A good product would be a must and never take on a job for some one wanting something cheep and low quality 8) Then when some one seen one they would wonder or ask Who made your T-Shirts blablablabla.you know what I mean :bball:
Do it the right way This way the only shirts you make are seen and look and feel the best :thumbrig::walk:
Looks like there is some good new info here.

I learned more about screening then I ever knew just reading this thread so Thank you for jumping in :-D

-
Back