Anyone build a 318/402 stroker?

-
I have on Dennis Maurer built for me in my garage...will go in the '65 Valiant wagon when I get some time to focus on it.

I'll try to dig up the spec sheet - it was built for good street manners, rather than magazine-like dyno results.

I have on Dennis Maurer built for me in my garage...will go in the '65 Valiant wagon when I get some time to focus on it.

I'll try to dig up the spec sheet - it was built for good street manners, rather than magazine-like dyno results.
Sounds like what I'm after! Nothing crazy..Maybe high 11"s?? Buy reliable.. I have almost everything for the build now..any news from your build would be great!

I bought MadDarts 402 short block and then got the IMM RHS heads. It still needs to be put together. Ask Louis what he did. There lots of work into it.

Here are some details of my build.

318 truck block Machined, bored, line honed, gear drive, new oil pump, pan, pickup, has windage tray. Scat 4.0 Cast Crank, eagle esp rods with arp, ICON 745 FORGED Pistons, Moly Rings. Clevite Bearings. SFI DAMPER & WATER PUMP. Hughes "Johnson Race Lifters.

Big Hughes Hydraulic Flat Tappet.

63cc RHS Indy Heads compression will be 9.99 - 1.

Comes with PRW 1.5 Stainless roller rockers.

Mopar Performance Black wrinkle valve covers

Mopar 6 Pack Set Up

Dougs Ceramic Coated Headers

Hooked to a 4 Speed Trans

Found the build info - mild street build - good manners - not going for race or magazine numbers:

RHS heads - 65.0 cc chambers
2.02 intake / 1.60 exhaust
KB forged pistons
Eagle I beams
S/P rings
Mopar 284-284-108 cam (installed at 104)
9.1:1 static compression
Air Gap intake

With a Holley 3310, through 1 3/4 -> 3" headers and Turbo mufflers, it did 416 lb-ft at 4200 and 376 HP at 5400

Looking forward to getting it off the stand and in the car!

I can't believe there would be any cylinder wall left at .090" over. I had a 360 years ago at .060" over and could never keep it cooled down.

I would like to hear from a member that has/runs a 318/402 stroker please!

If you are concerned about cylinder wall thickness, think of it like this; whatever block you bring to the machine shop will need to be sonic checked first to make sure it can be bored safely to your desired 4.00". Just because block A may or may not be able to be bored that size does not mean block B or C can't.

The reason I say it like that is that 318 blocks are often free or very cheap. You could probably walk out your door and find one laying in the dirt that someone would be willing to pay you to take away. Seriously. Most of the time you can't even give a 318 away. I know because I've tried. If the block you have turns out to not be thick enough for your application, go find another one out in a field or in a dumpster and try again. You'll probably still be dollars ahead than if you had bought a 360.

If you are concerned about cylinder wall thickness, think of it like this; whatever block you bring to the machine shop will need to be sonic checked first to make sure it can be bored safely to your desired 4.00". Just because block A may or may not be able to be bored that size does not mean block B or C can't.

The reason I say it like that is that 318 blocks are often free or very cheap. You could probably walk out your door and find one laying in the dirt that someone would be willing to pay you to take away. Seriously. Most of the time you can't even give a 318 away. I know because I've tried. If the block you have turns out to not be thick enough for your application, go find another one out in a field or in a dumpster and try again. You'll probably still be dollars ahead than if you had bought a 360.
** O.K. I'm going ditch hunting tonight!:salute::dontknow:

-
Back