Anyone deal with severe dry mouth?

-

1994redram

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this. But for the past 6 weeks I've been dealing with severe dry mouth. As in NO saliva at all, zip, zero, nada. I've been to emergency rooms, doctors, ENT, etc. Taken several types of antibiotics, liquid medicines, bloodwork done, it goes on and on. No diabetes, no pre-diabetes, healthy kidneys, heart, all is well they say. No infections or a virus so the antibiotics are basically a shot in the dark that the doctors hoped might work. The doctors all say I have parotitis. The parotid glands which produce saliva are in the cheek under the ears. Mine are very swollen and hard as can be. Looks like I have chipmunk cheeks. Dry mouth is causing swollen tonsils, many canker sores, swollen taste buds, cracked and bleeding tongue. It's become a serious pain in the.... mouth. I've bought special dry mouth gum, mouthwash, lozenges, sprays, and capsules. Nothing works very well if at all. I'm just about ready to try anything. Doctors don't seem concerned and say there isn't much that can be done and I should just drink more water. I rarely drink tea or soda.

Anybody else deal with this before? I've heard that people with diabetes can have complications with dry mouth. Doctors say dry mouth is common and not serious or life threatening. Sipping water every 5 minutes has become annoying. I'm a construction forman and work outside all day and I'm not sure how it'll work out when summer rolls around.

Oh boy does that suck.I have diabeties and get dry mouth but not that bad .Its hard to find good medical care any more.

Not joking at all.....eat a hot pepper. .....

Jeff

I love hot foods. And I have a VERY hot salsa made here in Oklahoma. Tried a little bit and quickly regretted it. It was awfully hot and didn't work. I normally mix the salsa in with food and eat a chip or two with it. But I'll likely never do that again. It wasn't pleasant.

I'm actually going in tomorrow for a lip and cheek biopsy with more bloodwork. I'm hoping for some news that it's an easy fix.

Wife has...
Sjogren's syndrome - Symptoms and causes
...and has found absolutely nada to help her out. Best of luck in dealing with it...

The ENT mentioned that. I've read about it and it sounds pretty rough to live with. How long has she had It? Does she have flare up's or is it always affecting her? Some people have dry eyes, dry mouth, or both. My mouth is the only issue.

Ask the ENT if it could be blocked salivary tubes. It can occur when a calcification or other hard deposit blocks the tube, restricting salivary flow. I had it on one side about 25 years ago and it caused me to need to undergo surgery for an infection that developed in the salivary gland.

They found it while trying to insert dye into the tube for radio imaging. They couldn’t get the dye to flow in.

Since I started on a BiPap I am thirsty 24 hours a day!

I had something like that once and was told to eat lemon drops to get saliva moving

I had something like that once and was told to eat lemon drops to get saliva moving
Yeah, My docs told me to do small shots of lemon juice for the same reason. Hold them in your mouth until you can’t stand it anymore, then swallow it.

Lemon juice worked great. It's unfortunate I don't like lemon, but it was worth it to get some saliva going. But the lemon juice is what has destroyed my tongue and taste buds so I haven't done it in about a week.

Lemon juice worked great. It's unfortunate I don't like lemon, but it was worth it to get some saliva going. But the lemon juice is what has destroyed my tongue and taste buds so I haven't done it in about a week.

There is a product called "ice chips" xylitol candy that might help. Nothing produces saliva like lemon though.

-
Back