Anyone decode a 340 block?!?

-

BrianT

Here we go again...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I found a guy selling a 340 block and crank. I asked him some questions about them and this is what I got back from him...

It is a block with a crank, it is rebuildable, as far as the crank, it is the original crank that came with the block when i bought it. No pistons, No cam shaft, just the block and crank. numbers as follows, as best i can read.......IM 340 P 40 //D or Z, 0 or 2// 8151, 2780930-340-1 4, 3 B 1 76990. thanks....

Can anyone help me decode this block? I asked whether the crank was cast or forged, and you read the reply I got back. I know how to tell by looking at the balancer, but not how to ID the crank by looking at it. Any help?

I found a guy selling a 340 block and crank. I asked him some questions about them and this is what I got back from him...

It is a block with a crank, it is rebuildable, as far as the crank, it is the original crank that came with the block when i bought it. No pistons, No cam shaft, just the block and crank. numbers as follows, as best i can read.......IM 340 P 40 //D or Z, 0 or 2// 8151, 2780930-340-1 4, 3 B 1 76990. thanks....

Can anyone help me decode this block? I asked whether the crank was cast or forged, and you read the reply I got back. I know how to tell by looking at the balancer, but not how to ID the crank by looking at it. Any help?

Tell the guy to send a good, clear picture of the crank and post it here.
A cast crank has a thin part line. The forged crank has a wide part line.
Also, if you hit (lightly) the crank on the snout with a ball peen hammer, the cast crank gives off a high-pitched "ping."
The forged crank, being denser, gives off a "thud" when hit.

It's out of a 73 car built in Hammy, MI with the last 6 digits of 176990

"I" isn't a good character unless someone messed up the alpha code for the year. It should be a "J" to denote 1973 model year
M = Mound Road plant
340 = obvious 340CI
P = Premium Fuel
40//dz (0,2) would be the date built using 10000 day calendar Should be a 4 digit number as an example 4000 is about July 1, 1972. Likely an early model 1973 engine
8151 is the 8151 unit built that day.

Thanks Cracked! So, it's a 73, if it has the factory crank that would be cast correct?

I'll see if I can get some picts.

Here's the picts he sent.

004.jpg

003.jpg

He's asking $250 for the block and crank. Plus, it's about a 2 hour drive away.

250 isn't bad if it's std and uncracked, never had a spun bearing.

I have no way to measure the bore or mag the block for cracks, so it would be a gamble that the parts are usable

-
Back