Anyone else going through trailer tires this summer?

-
Up here in Canada it against the law to run non trailer tires on a trailer. There is zero insurance if you’re in an accident to your trailer whether or not it’s your fault. Kim
The Goodyear's are trailer tires.

I’ve blown my share of tires on toyhaulers and my 14 x 7 Haulmark. Goodyear used to make a Marathon that was made in the USA, and I had good luck with them on my boat trailer (7500+lbs with boat) until they started making them in China. Now I’m running their Endurance tires on my Haulmark and on my 22 foot travel trailer. No problems over the last several years on either one. I don’t tow over 65mph anymore. The Endurance series are a 65psi tire with reinforced side walls and UV protection. I cover them when the trailers are on my RV pad at my home in Lake Havasu City, AZ. As far as I know, the only consistently hotter place in the US is Death Valley. We took the travel trailer on a 4300 mile trip in June to the Pacific Northwest, and a 1,000 mile trip to Colorado in August. There were lots of bad roads and difficult conditions. I’ve heard the Greenballs are good, but I don’t know anyone running them.

My 2021 United super hauler 28'x8.5 came with West Lake Super ST (10 ply) E-rated. Trailer is 6385 empty. Fully loaded I estimate it to be approximately 10,000lbs conservatively. Car is 2640lbs empty. Quad is 350 lbs dry. Plus 15-20 gallons of race fuel, 5 gallons of pump gas, predator 3500 generator, tools, spare parts, etc. I put between 11,000-12,000 miles on the trailer and knock on wood have had good luck with these tires. I did however find two big gashes on the inside sidewall of my driver side tires while adjusting my brakes before heading to Norwalk this weekend. One was so deep I could see the belt. Luckily they didn't blow while towing and I caught them. I am biting the bullet and putting 4 new Advanta ST235/80R16 (14 ply) G-rated tires on tomorrow so I don't have any issues (knock on wood) before towing 215 miles one way. Hopefully they last me for the foreseeable future.

I think you’ll appreciate the G rated tires….. in my mind I can’t believe they still offer a 24’ + trailer that DOESN‘T have 16” wheels.

I’m going to be the first to say an open trailer is a completely different story because of weight. Heck on my first and maybe second open trailer I ran 20.00 mobile home tires

depends on the trailer and what you are carrying.
I have a 24 foot open trailer that is about 2800 pounds. A 900 pound 48 volt electric cart, and a 3000+ pound car sitting on it too.
cheap tires won’t work on it, right at 7000 pounds.

depends on the trailer and what you are carrying.
I have a 24 foot open trailer that is about 2800 pounds. A 900 pound 48 volt electric cart, and a 3000+ pound car sitting on it too.
cheap tires won’t work on it, right at 7000 pounds.
My 24' enclosed trailer loaded with stuff weighs close to 11,000 lbs. Can't believe mfr. sticker shows load range D tires.

My 24' enclosed trailer loaded with stuff weighs close to 11,000 lbs. Can't believe mfr. sticker shows load range D tires.

People don’t understand that a big reason we have an enclosed trailer is because we take lots of backup supplies to the track. Nuts, bolts, oil, transmission fluid, carb parts, spare ignition, spare fuel pump, and the list goes on. Heck I carry two generators.

-
Back