Anyone ever run a mechanical tachometer?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I know I prefer mechanical oil pressure and coolant temperature gauges. I am currently restoring the factory Formula S tachometer in a 1965 Barracuda with an aftermarket circuit board. Now I begin to wonder about the advantages/disadvantages of mechanical vs electric/electronic tachometers. Anyone have any first hand knowledge/experience with the question?

Theoretically a mechanical tachometer should be more accurate. I run one on my 60 Corvette, but it is factory as this car is a 315hp Fuelie car and is distributor driven. Other Corvettes of the same era were driven off the rear of the generator. That being said, my opinion is that the mechanical units are far more accurate if they are distributor driven.

more accurate? not in my experience. can be bouncy and noisy. old corvetts and english junk was horrible.

hi, stewart warner has mech tachs. they are very accurate, the reason some bounce is lack of lubrication inside cable housing and cable bent tight. I've ran SW mech tach always, it runs rock steady. mech tach is not affected by electronics.

more accurate? not in my experience. can be bouncy and noisy. old corvetts and english junk was horrible.

Or perhaps installer inexperience. Mine are always super accurate and dependable. Just sayin.

I tend to agree with that for the most part, although I have driven a few, one a dragster, that were pretty decent.

Hey, that's why we have "shift lights" today...:D

I tend to agree with that for the most part, although I have driven a few, one a dragster, that were pretty decent.

Hey, that's why we have "shift lights" today...:D

we had one on the hemi for a while( back in the day) worked great, very accurate, the cable was always a pain in the *** when working on it!

When I was racing small block chevies in the mid & late 70s, modified production 4 speed 6.50 gears, mechanical tach was more accurate, just make sure to keep spare cables, especially after a missed gear!!
Steve

This car had a Moroso (Jones/Motorola) cable drive tachometer, Ok on a race car
with loud exhaust but jerky and noisy on the street. This was in the 70's just before
the new crop of giant Autometer electronic Monster tachs became prevalent.

Lau-HauMIRlgc_zps9d9dcef2.jpg

I took out an electronic tach and put in a mechanical and ran it for years with no issues, agree on keeping the cable lubed and no sharp bends. IMO there is the one problem, running the cable to the inside. If you have all under dash accessories, heater box, and controls, defroster tubes and radio its hard to run the cable. When I sold the car the tach was one of the things I kept. Lol.

This car had a Moroso (Jones/Motorola) cable drive tachometer, Ok on a race car
with loud exhaust but jerky and noisy on the street. This was in the 70's just before
the new crop of giant Autometer electronic Monster tachs became prevalent.

Lau-HauMIRlgc_zps9d9dcef2.jpg

That picture is slam full of total awesomefied badassary.

-
Back