anyone ever spray bomb aluminum slots?

-

USAJon

Maryland U.S.A.
Reaction score
my front slots were part sand blasted then someone tryed to polish with a drill like disk grinder..they look it.

a friend had spray bombed using velsapr silver/ some mustang aluminum slots and they did look prety good. any thoughts ?

Assuming there is some sort of adhesion coat (some sort of etch primer for aluminum??) then I guess it would be worth a try. You sure you can't sand them down and polish them up? They that bad? For some reason if they would be too bad to polish up I would think that they'd look just as bad after you paint them because you'd still see the scratches...

Assuming there is some sort of adhesion coat (some sort of etch primer for aluminum??) then I guess it would be worth a try. You sure you can't sand them down and polish them up? They that bad? For some reason if they would be too bad to polish up I would think that they'd look just as bad after you paint them because you'd still see the scratches...

well part has that dull sand blasted look then the other part polished poorly..kinda two different looks on same wheel. I will post pics Sunday.

I had some that were pretty bad, I took small (1 1/2" or 2" maybe) scotchbrite disks on my die grinder and cleaned them up with those then polished them with a buffing wheel and some compound, I spent about 4 hours each. When I took them to the tire store to get tires mounted, the guy commented on the nice polish job and asked who I had do them....

Not slots, but I had to decrustify the OE's on my old Jeep last year. I had previously stripped what was left of the clear with aircraft stripper, but ran out of time, and drove on them bare for two years. As you can see, they got REALLY crusty. I cleaned that down with a fine brass wire cup brush, primed with self etching spray bomb primer (SEM, I think), and did a two stage finish with Duplicolor spray bomb Wheel paint. It has held up perfectly through one new england winter. The DupliColor also gives a really nice quality finish, and I get lots of compliments on them. Two cans of color, one can of clear, and the primer cost roughly $25.00. The cup brush was probably another $15.00. but I had that lying around.

IMG_0748.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

-
Back