Anyone ever turn an old Dart into an ultimate daily-driver?

-
That's what I did with my '72 Challenger. Still my daily driver for just a bit longer until I get my Duster on the road. But after I went through the suspension and brakes and did a few bolt on mods to the engine (4 barrel, headers, electronic distributor) I've driven it over 40k miles in the last 5 years. I drive it year round, although that's a bit easier in California than the rest of the country.

As far as mpg's, you need some tuning in a BIG way. I get 16-17 on the highway with my 318 and 3.23 gears, and that's in a heavier Challenger. I usually get 13-14 around town, but I drive it like a musclecar so I could probably do better. I got 17-18mpg with the 2.76 gears it came with. :D

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't daily drive one of these cars. After I initially went through everything and rebuilt the suspension and tuned the engine etc I've done very little work on the Challenger, mostly just normal maintenance. I did initially spend a few thousand dollars getting it to where I wanted it, but I also did more than was necessary - Hotchkis UCA's, 1.12" torsion bars, 11.75" disks and 11" drums, 17x9" rims with 275/40/17's, streetmaster intake with a 625 Carter, Hooker Super Comp headers, B body 8 3/4 rear with 1" offset hangers, and a few other goodies here and there. Since then its been a very trouble free car, and although I'm going to be pulling it off the road to finally fix up some body issues the mechanicals are still doing well.

Ha ha ha the wagon jokes commence;).

Shoulda kept my 1970 Chrysler Newport if years ago I knew I'd have such a brood!

(Or the 68 Fury fasttop.... 71 Imperial ... the 7 !!! 77 Newports I've owned....)

Maybe you can tell I'm more of a C-body guy. :) I've only owned two other A-bods; a 71 Valiant and a 73 Dart, both with /6's.

But this was 15 years ago. All my Mopes were $200 wonders that hauled my (smaller) family around. Never had a muscle car. Dream is a 69 1/2 Super Bee. That will be my present to myself ......someday.

But here a few shots of the Dart as it sits outside my sister-in-laws house. It was in the garage but her new boyfriend moved in and his stuff kicked the Dodge out for a bit.
Not too bad of shape really considering its been an Iowa car its whole life.

But I doubt she'll ever be Really Nice. I would happily settle for Really Dependable.

**edit*** apparently my phone doesn't like uploading photos. I'll work on that this afternoon ; sorry.

Matt

My daily driver is a 66 valiant I bought for 1200 and put 1400 into last month.
The slant 6 gets good milage and the heater is awesome.

At 8 mpg I'd be checking for fuel leaks, not leak, singular, but leaks, fuel pump and sending unit(mine was). Make sure the air is flowing, as stated, clean air filter, PCV valve. Clean fire too, coil, plugs, wire, cap and rotor. I just did a tune up on my car of plugs, wires, cap, rotor and Coil for $137.00. Upgrading from "stock replacement" to "performance"

The worst milage I have got is 13 and that is in stop and go traffic. my '73 is my daily driver, 50 miles a day round trip.

Good luck finding the time! It's wil lbe a good driver one day.

In high school, I drove a '67 Grand Prix with a 400/Carter AFB 4-barrel. I disconnected the accelerator pump and choke and had the initial timing cranked up quite a bit. I also ran an underdash vacuum gauge and didn't let it drop below 10 inches when I accelerated, which also ensured it never pinged on the cheapo gas I was running. I think I was knocking down 20 MPG with my mostly-freeway driving. I also drove like I had egg shells under my right foot.

The only downside was that I had to pop the hood and give the disconnected accelerator pump plunger a few pumps to get it going in the mornings. It was like an experiment and it was kinda fun.

this will be my new daily driver this spring. getting a magnum 360 and floor shifted auto trans. bench seat car with 3.31 rear gears. getting new front and rear suspension and disk brake conversion then its gonna be my new people mover. should get about 10-15 mpg with my 4 barrel carb.

Ha ha ha the wagon jokes commence;).

whats wrong with wagons ....i have a 68 dodge coronet wagon that i am fixin to make my new daily driver next month but for now i drive a 72 dart daily.

i just keep it tuned as best i can but i dont care about MPGs ....sure it costs more to drive in fuel than say a prius ....but its worth the extra coin to me to drive whatever i want and wont look like a mega dork in plastic junk, life is too short for that. :neutral:

whats wrong with wagons ....i have a 68 dodge coronet wagon that i am fixin to make my new daily driver next month but for now i drive a 72 dart daily.

i just keep it tuned as best i can but i dont care about MPGs ....sure it costs more to drive in fuel than say a prius ....but its worth the extra coin to me to drive whatever i want and wont look like a mega dork in plastic junk, life is too short for that. :neutral:

how is this woman not married?

So when do you hit the big 7-O, geez? Wish you were local so we could party. lol

I drove this car in all seasons when I lived in New York during the 80's and 90's, it ran fine in the snow as well and had good heat. I was living in the Hudson river valley at the time. Now I'm almost 70 and hardly even drive it in the rain, but it's still a daily driver..

Did I ever tell you how much you suck? lol

this will be my new daily driver this spring. getting a magnum 360 and floor shifted auto trans. bench seat car with 3.31 rear gears. getting new front and rear suspension and disk brake conversion then its gonna be my new people mover. should get about 10-15 mpg with my 4 barrel carb.

@ RaniDart70:

No disrespect for wagons whatsoever. Wish I had me one. Hell; the only 2-door Mope I've had was a 76 Cordoba. :)

My reply was more in the "yeah I've got 6 kids I need a wagon " vernacular ...

:) :) :)

Matt

Thats cool you had a 76 Doba. I am on my 2nd Doba which is a 78, my first one was a 76 with a T Tops.

@ RaniDart70:

No disrespect for wagons whatsoever. Wish I had me one. Hell; the only 2-door Mope I've had was a 76 Cordoba. :)

My reply was more in the "yeah I've got 6 kids I need a wagon " vernacular ...

:) :) :)

Matt

im just paranoid because most of my friends think im a weirdo for having this wagon and refusing to let go, and i am single with no kids.....so they always make fun and say why do i need a brady bunch wagon for just me LOL .....but the wagon's name is Suzy and im going to stay loyal to her now that she just got a 440 transplant and my family saved this car from getting parted and crushed :D

Attachments

• CIMG2985_zps0c3b728f.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 157
  • CIMG2984_zps8c05bd3d.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 170
Rani I will pick up your wagon tomorrow Suzie said she wanted to come home with me.

how is this woman not married?

too picky ...wont date a guy who cant weld better than me or drive a manual or paint a car. :jocolor:

nah ...joking aside ....i think its better to be single and free to do whatever you want......i dont want to be pulled away from garage time, serving the car gods and going for my other goals in life.....thats all. :D

too picky ...wont date a guy who cant weld better than me or drive a manual or paint a car. :jocolor:

nah ...joking aside ....i think its better to be single and free to do whatever you want......i dont want to be pulled away from garage time, serving the car gods and going for my other goals in life.....thats all. :D

i know my way around a welder, does a manually shifted auto count? and i painted the hood on my car if that counts? ha ha ha

I'm pretty sure its harder to find a woman that appreciates the car obsession.

I'm pretty sure its harder to find a woman that appreciates the car obsession.

well there should be more than there is ....thats why someday when im rich ....im going to give out scholarships to people (guys and girls) going to school for automotive.

i went to Auto School and i know how it can change people's lives for the better and give people new hope and purpose in life, like it did for me.

if more people were into cars or similar trades of use, our prisions would probably be a lot emptier and unemployment would be down.......just sayin

funny you say that about knowing your way around a welder ...welding is my new obsession LOL its so fun and useful .....can make a few bucks with it too :D

Now for the original Question. First, unless everything looks real good, get new cap and rotor. Replace one wire at a time using the original as a guide. Check air gap between the reluctor and pickup. Get a set of Taylor Spiro Pro wires and a new set of plugs. Run a new vacuum line from the front of the carb, ported (shouldn't have vacuum at idle), to the vacuum advance canister on the distributor. Set timing to 5 degrees before TDC. Adjust the 2 idle mixture screws 2 turns out from lightly seated. Check turns in so you can put it back to original setting. Turn both mixture screws in 1/4 turn in till it starts to run slower or doesn't run as good. Then turn the mixture screws back out 1/4 turn. Test drive to check your work. Second, on a cold motor check to be sure the choke is closed. When the motor is warmed up make sure the choke is fully open. Third, Your Carb should have a cover on the top front you can remove with a screw or two. Inside you will find a plastic arm with one screw. Loosen this adjustment screw just enough so you can rotate the mixture rods down to lean the mixture, then tighten adjustment screw. Test drive, when it surges slightly at cruising speed, loosen the adjustment screw and slightly raise the rods up tighten adjustment screw. Repeat till untill the surge disappears and replace the cover. Fourth, on a cold motor check exhaust valve on passenger side exhaust manifold, if you have one, to make sure it is not stuck closed. At this point you should be in good shape. I also like a vacuum gage to trouble shoot and get the best milage you can.

I daily drive a '73 Dart.

As for tune up I would also suggest you dig into the engine a little and change the timing chainset.
If the camshaft is lugging behind the rest in the engine it will prevent optimum cylinder filling and thus hurt mileage badly.

-
Back