Anyone follow World's Strongest Man competition?

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
For those who do, you may have been recently hearing a little bit about my nephew Marshall White. His first place win in a qualifying series on July 4th in Bucharest, Romania, earned him a spot in this year's final world competition. Marshall has been competing professionally for only about two years. He definitely is one of the up-and-coming youngsters in this sport. He sent me this photo of someone's truck plastered with his picture promoting the sport. Marshall is ranked among the top three world's best in the "Atlas Stones" event.

More to come...

truckpic.jpg

Go Marshall! I've always been impressed by those BIG guys. I'm a fairly big guy at 6'3"/240, but looking at those guys make me feel like a skinny teenager. :-D

Go Marshall! I've always been impressed by those BIG guys. I'm a fairly big guy at 6'3"/240, but looking at those guys make me feel like a skinny teenager. :-D

My friend, at 6'3"/240, you are no skinny teenager. Same goes for myself, same height but I think I've got you on the lbs. ;)

'74 Sport, I hope Marshall kicks a$$! I have been watching this competition for decades and am always impressed.

Did someone say, "beasts?" He is 26 years old, 6'-3" and weighs 290 lbs. Believe it or not, he is among the smaller guys in this sport. This is three years ago when Marshall was just getting started in the sport.

2006nationalsscream.jpg

dude ya.... I have seen him. Thats cool. I love watching those guys.

I can only dream of lifting a big rock ball. Bad back, bad knee, hernia, bad elbow.... ya.... I can hardly lift 12oz. to my mouth anymore.

-RPM

ya.... I can hardly lift 12oz. to my mouth anymore.

-RPM

But yet some how we still manage to make those 12oz curls!

Aloha!

PS sorry RPM couldn't resist!

PSS Cool 74..Now I have someone to root for! Go Mr. White!!! (he's to big not to call him Mister!)

Funny, as a matter of fact, he earned his "pro" card when he won "Hawaii's Strongest Man" back in 2006.

Anybody live near Pagosa Springs, CO? That's where he lives now.

Yeah I love to watch the strongman contests.

Homecloned do you remember seeing the guy drop the fridge on his ankle/leg and break it? Man that was gruesome. Did they stop the fridge carry? Haven't seen it in awhile.

I think that was Franco Columbo a 5' 6" Olympian body builder that was show and go..

He was on Merv Griffin back in the day, exploded a hot water bottle blowing into it with his lungs faster than an air compressor could.

I used to be a power lifter , started lifting at 11, when I was 19 I benched 390 free weight for 3 reps, squatted 705 full squats for 5 by age 25. Always dead lifted between 620 and 660 free weight as well and could clean and jerk 300 over my head when I left High Scool.

I was 2times strong than most people I ever met, yet these guys are more than twice as strong as I ever was..:)

At age 39 still was able to bench 350 and squatt over 600, then on the way home in SoCal one night on the harley a jerk in a Honda delibertly ran me over and I slamed the freeway, that was bad enough when my helmet broke, ripped my chin part way off and blow out my right shoulder, but then a drunk in an F350 drove over my left arm.

Lucky I was buff, it did not crush it, but F..ed me up for life, can still bench about 250, but I can no longer work out like that at now age 48 due to major nerve damage.

I have so much respect for these guys.

it is drug free and many thousands of HRs of hard training.

PS you should see a list of how much and what kind of food you have to eat to be like that.

it is akin to driving a dual quad blown hemi at 8000 rpms.

thanks for the post!

have been looking alitle at it, but i know those guys are huge, an officer when i did my time in the army was competing in swedens strongest man and he is one of the biggest guys i have ever seen,and i dont think he has ever been in the worlds strongest man competition gues those guys are even bigger!

It's like Dave said above, you won't find a group more in tune with health and fitness than the guys my nephew trains with. It's insane the number of calories he eats (many times a day) and then burns through.

Actully, size isn't the major factor to success in this sport - it is strength conditioning. Sometimes, the larger guys have more trouble with some of the events that are easier for the smaller ones.

Yeah that's what made me think of it. His leg actually broke while he was carrying it.
Heres a crazy event I had not seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM_dLXKpf9c&feature=related

Yeah I guess I was remembering it wrong. I thought he dropped it on his leg. I haven't seen the car turn over in a long time. It was cool. I noticed they switch around on the contests they have the guys do. I guess some prove too dangerous and also just to keep the guys guessing what they'll do.

I like watching it for sure.

Hard to believe he is "one of the smaller guys"!

But, that may help him in some of the events that require cardio like the tire flip.

I wish him the best. I'm still a fan of Bill Kazmier!

-
Back