Anyone got a picture of how the longer 70 B body pistol grip shifter fits an A body

-

duster360

Reaction score
I know lots here have used the 71-74 B body pistol grip shifter handle in an A body, but has anyone tried the longer 70 B body pistol grip shifter in an A body. Also does anyone have pictures of it?

I also have a feeling the shifter handle would hit the dash. I'm not real sure about this though.

I used a E body pistol grip in my Duster that I liked. I will look for a photo.
I was using a Tremc 5 speed. shifter location was more centered and bucket seats.

Attachments

• photo8.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 676
I always figured the B/E handle would be too far from the centerline, since those cars were wider.

I put one in mine, But I put it in a vice and heated it up, bent it straight back, I kept trial fitting until it was where I wanted it. Just barely touches the bench seat when in forth.
:burnout:

A stock tall pistol grip(70 B body) probably will hit the dash. The 71 B body non console shifter fits perfect and even clears a bench seat. You have to lean into an E body one to shift it(which I don't like)

I am pretty sure this is from a B-Body, it was in the car when I got the Duster....
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0652.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_0653.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 537
I have to wait till next weekend to check them out, car in still in storage till next week end sorry....
Here are some better pictures ok for now.

Attachments

• IMG_0656.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 443
  • IMAG0119.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 425
Here is my 71-74 b body bench pistol grip, it fits perfectly and just barely clears the bench seat in my Scamp in 2nd & 4th gear

I test fitted one in my Duster just for you bro. As you can see, there is no way to get reverse. In the pic the trans is in neutral, merely inches from the steering Wheel. God forbid if I had the " greyhound bus" Standard Wheel in this thing. I may cut it down to fit Unless someone out there needs an original shifter. Looks cool as hell though!

Attachments

• IMAG0642.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 354
  • IMAG0644.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 356
I had a 71 340 Cuda in high school and part of college. I shifted the pistol grip shifter with my hand on top of it, just like if it had a ball. I think the pistol grip looks cool, but I actually prefer a standard ball for shifting. Just me and my two cents.

Anybody else out there not a big fan of the pistol grip?

How far back do you have the bench set in your car, 360Scamp?

I've been mowing the idea over, of a '71 B shifter, but I'm worried that Amy's seat positioning will keep me from doing that.

rklein383, Being a teen when the pistol grip first came out,most if not all owners hated them and were swapped out for a supershifter or ram rod.

I test fitted one in my Duster just for you bro. As you can see, there is no way to get reverse. In the pic the trans is in neutral, merely inches from the steering Wheel. God forbid if I had the " greyhound bus" Standard Wheel in this thing. I may cut it down to fit Unless someone out there needs an original shifter. Looks cool as hell though!

Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Now I know for a fact that there is no way that shifter would work in my Dart. At least not without some sort of mods. Thanks for the picture.

How far back do you have the bench set in your car, 360Scamp?

I've been mowing the idea over, of a '71 B shifter, but I'm worried that Amy's seat positioning will keep me from doing that.

I didnt even take that into consideration Dave. I believe im about 2 or 3 "notches" from being all the way back. I will check for sure and let you know.

-
Back