Anyone growing there own fresh vegetables

-
Just stuck the bell peppers, cucumbers and tomato seeds in the potting plants to get them started. Oh same with the Jalapeños.

Just stuck the bell peppers, cucumbers and tomato seeds in the potting plants to get them started. Oh same with the Jalapeños.

Thank you for the reminder, I do not have any Jalapeno seed here yet :banghead: or I would stick them in my seed planting tray !

Memike? Was that whole crappies you used as fertilizer? Fish parts are great for that, but where I am we used guts and only carp and such whole. I want to try a garden this year. Tomaters and radishes at first.

Last year I started from seed and when I took the covers off after a month the cats ate all the tomato and cucumber seedlings.

This year I'm going to buy the seedlings already started. Pretty much need to with a new baby in the house.

We do Tomato's, Cherry Tomato's, Cucumbers, Green Onion, Strawberry's and last year we did zucchini but decided we'll skip that this year for more cucumbers.

Riddler

Memike? Was that whole crappies you used as fertilizer? Fish parts are great for that, but where I am we used guts and only carp and such whole. I want to try a garden this year. Tomaters and radishes at first.
Oh No NO! I eat the good parts :glasses7: just the remains :D memikie loves me some fresh fish :D

Last year I started from seed and when I took the covers off after a month the cats ate all the tomato and cucumber seedlings.

This year I'm going to buy the seedlings already started. Pretty much need to with a new baby in the house.

We do Tomato's, Cherry Tomato's, Cucumbers, Green Onion, Strawberry's and last year we did zucchini but decided we'll skip that this year for more cucumbers.

Riddler
I sure do understand that Riddler, not the cat eating the sprouts, having a new baby in the house now :color:

Instead of using real fish remains in my compost pile that sometimes atract unwanted critters I use liquid fish emulsion. You can get it at most garden centers. Last year I got mine from Lowe's.

I only have two raised 4x8 beds and a small growing area at this house. We bought property and some day down the road when we've built I hope to have a big garden again. My sister called me last weekend to offer up my dads Troy Built roto-tiller. In the early to mid 70's our family did a lot of organic gardening using that tiller in Creswell Oregon. A lot of fond memories and a great machine.

The best fertilizer I have found is the clean out from the chicken coup but be careful because it will burn the plants as rich as it is.

My Cherokee Purple tomato seeds are about ready to be potted up I believe :glasses7:

Attachments

• 2 for me.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 2 for me 1.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 2 for me 2.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 83
I have a HUGE pile of horse apples, wish I could give it away. I would even help load!

the free range chickens keep me from planting any seed direct outside, like greens. some tomatoes and peppers after Good Friday. then plant some squash hills and hope!!!

I have a HUGE pile of horse apples, wish I could give it away. I would even help load!

the free range chickens keep me from planting any seed direct outside, like greens. some tomatoes and peppers after Good Friday. then plant some squash hills and hope!!!

I wish I could have chickens here, but first a REAL good fence and coop needs to be built, and coyotes would be stalking them every night here.

Potted up about ten tomato sprouts into bigger pots and walked them over to my neighbors for his wife, she did not get to start her own this year, hospital won't let you do that there :D she is doing good and happy to see some fresh new plants put in her windows today :color: I have about 25 more to put in bigger pots to grow some before they go outside to my plots I have been feeding all fall and winter so they should make plenty of tomatoes for me and a few friends :toothy1:

Attachments

• 1 plant.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 1 plant 1.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 74
Memike your plants and mine are about the same height. It won't be as long as it was before we can enjoy a fresh home grown tomatoe sandwich .

Memike your plants and mine are about the same height. It won't be as long as it was before we can enjoy a fresh home grown tomatoe sandwich .
Oh yea :color: can't wait for a good tomato sandwich :cheers: I love a fresh tomato for breakfast with a couple eggs over easy and a side order of bacon :D

With the 4 dogs and all the rocks a garden would be way to much like work. One of Ernies quilting friends has a small garden, Linda always sends Ernie home with a bag of goodies.

With the 4 dogs and all the rocks a garden would be way to much like work. One of Ernies quilting friends has a small garden, Linda always sends Ernie home with a bag of goodies.
Same here, but after 4 years of fun/work I now have a small few area's I can grow on Doug :cheers:

Doug......FYI I used Ernies extra hot food trick on my son for not helping around the house. Now he knows when I'm pissed at him! LOL

-
Back