[WANTED] Anyone have a usable locker unit for 7.25? (Updated)

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Contact seller
I have some stuff I could trade if someone has one laying around that they don't need.

Thank you all.

The Updated part.
Ok, so today I went to the local pick a part and checked out some details on the Jeep Grand Cherokee disc brake rear ends as a possible disc brake sure grip donor to get rid of my 7.25 open.

They have a literal collection of 8.25 and Dana 44's, but no sure grips at all.
Some are 5x5.5 bolt pattern also, but I'm looking at the 4x4.5 and they had somewhere around 10 of them.

They had one Jeep Cherokee with a 60 inch wide Dana 60 non locking with a 5 on 5.5 pattern but I don't need a rear that big and I don't want to have to end up with different patterns between the front and rear. (why it was in a 4x4 and non locking is a mystery to me)
It was also a drum brake rear, and if I'm going to go through all this I want four wheel disc brakes out of the deal. :)

The 8.25 open carrier rear with disc brakes included they said would run me about 150 bucks with the core charge of 25 bucks included.
I can do the cutting and welding here.

At about 60 inches wide flange to flange it would require uninstalling a couple of inches from the axle tubes and axles.
I would need .5 inch larger shock mount plates to go from a 2.5 inch tube to a 3 inch. Maybe just oblong each Ubolt hole .25 and use different Ubolts.
There is also the fact of having high 3.? gears in them. (not good the way I need to drive usually)
Perches would have to be added to the 8.25 and all the four link and coil spring stuff removed.

Then after ALL that I still have a non sure grip. :D
But I could always add the sure grip/locker down the road.

ok well I have a 7 1/4 out of a 65 barracuda sitting in the way here but i haven't popped it open ,but it did work when we drove the car on the trailer 4 years ago. I"m going to be selling off every thing here I don't need to get a 3:91 sure grip soon assome 1 throws up 1 at a reasonable price got a few hits yesterday . if you have a 3:91sure grip in the way holler. I"ll pop my 7 1/4 open tommoro or Monday get back to me by a pm K . it wasin a 3 speed on the tree 65 barracuda if you know off hand if that will work or not it could save me some time .

I have one if you're interested. It's the later cone type sure grip. Built just like it's big brother 8-3 / 4. I've got a 72 Duster and would entertain a trade. PM me if you're interested. I can send you pictures as well.

ok well I have a 7 1/4 out of a 65 barracuda sitting in the way here but i haven't popped it open ,but it did work when we drove the car on the trailer 4 years ago. I"m going to be selling off every thing here I don't need to get a 3:91 sure grip soon assome 1 throws up 1 at a reasonable price got a few hits yesterday . if you have a 3:91sure grip in the way holler. I"ll pop my 7 1/4 open tommoro or Monday get back to me by a pm K . it wasin a 3 speed on the tree 65 barracuda if you know off hand if that will work or not it could save me some time .

I have one if you're interested. It's the later cone type sure grip. Built just like it's big brother 8-3 / 4. I've got a 72 Duster and would entertain a trade. PM me if you're interested. I can send you pictures as well.

This probably applies to you both, thanks.
It is a 9 bolt cover and large bolt pattern, as apparently that is the early case so I don't know if the later one will work or not.

If anyone knows for sure please chime in.

This probably applies to you both, thanks.
It is a 9 bolt cover and large bolt pattern, as apparently that is the early case so I don't know if the later one will work or not.

If anyone knows for sure please chime in.

I had to repair a 76 7 1/4 that had welded spider gears in it. I picked up a 64 7 1/4 from waggin a member on here. I can tell you in the open carriers, the spider gears will not interchange. But I swapped out the whole 64 carrier with the 76 and it worked? Don't know if this helps. But I would think if the SG's use the same bearings it would interchange?

I put a cone style sure grip in a 65 housing. The whole carrier dropped right in and the ring and pinion interchanges. I don't know what year it came out of, early 70's I think.

I had to repair a 76 7 1/4 that had welded spider gears in it. I picked up a 64 7 1/4 from waggin a member on here. I can tell you in the open carriers, the spider gears will not interchange. But I swapped out the whole 64 carrier with the 76 and it worked? Don't know if this helps. But I would think if the SG's use the same bearings it would interchange?

It sure seems like it.

I put a cone style sure grip in a 65 housing. The whole carrier dropped right in and the ring and pinion interchanges. I don't know what year it came out of, early 70's I think.

Ok, so I'm getting the impression for a complete center section swap they all fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back