Anyone Have an Import Mini Lathe?

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I've been looking for a small used lathe to have in my garage for a while. It seems like for anything decent, people in my neck of the woods are asking an arm and a leg. It's ridiculous the prices people are asking for these things. A South Bend 9 for $2,500? Really??? Is that what these things are worth now?

I've recently considered picking up on of these import mini lathes instead. The 8x16 model can be picked up for about $800:

Variable-Speed Mini Metal Lathe 8''x16'' Tooling Digital RPM Spindle Brush Motor | eBay

Does anyone here happen to have one of these import mini lathes? If so, what are your impressions? Is it better than not having one?
It seems one of the biggest disadvantages with this particular model would the limited threading capabilities due to the metric lead screw and unavailable necessary change gears. The 1.5" spindle bore would be nice though.

If I had the room, I would spend the $$ on an older lathe. IF you buy a good machine and take care of it, it will hold it's value.

You have to be careful of some of the import "so called" 8" lathes. That "8" rating is sometimes pretty "loose." I had an older one I bought used, and almost wished I'd kept it because "for small stuff" it was great, and easier to handle than a larger one. I have a SB 9" but it shows some wear. Frankly, I haven't used it as much "as I thought I would." You can easily get out of hand with accessories and "doo dads" I once had an Atlas 12" and adapted a variable speed motor to it.

I used to have fun EG have modified a few old manual focus lenses to work with newer Canon EF mount (If the body you are using has a longer distance from mount to film/ sensor that the original lens mount system, you must somehow move the lens elements further toward the film/ sensor to achieve infinity focus)

IMG_9045.JPG

IMG_9044.JPG

IMG_9023.JPG

IMG_9003.JPG

IMG_9002.JPG

IMG_8998.JPG

Last edited:
Update - I was able to find a decent deal on an older Craftsman/Atlas 12" benchtop model. It's not a Southbend, but it should work for a bonehead like me. It's got a quick change gear box, so I don't have to mess with change gears. It's also got a quick change tool post and several tool holders. The only thing is that it's up by my folks house in Oregon, so I'll be picking it up later in the week. I've been meaning to get up there to visit the folks anyway.

You wont regret it. My 9” x48” south bend came to me about 10 years ago, i got it for cheap, considering it had the taper attatchment,as well as a toolpost grinder. Some days i wish i had a bigger one. Dont let the word benchtop fool you, they are damn heavy.

The later 12x36 Atlas/Craftsman/Clausing machines are a good machine for a home shop. Now that you have one coming your way, I strongly suggest checking out Tubalcain's (Lyle Peterson) series of videos on Atlas/Craftsman lathes. Shop Tips #220-239 Actually, all of his videos are interesting, especially if you are new to machine work. Missing manuals can most likely be found on Keith Rucker's site Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

The later 12x36 Atlas/Craftsman/Clausing machines are a good machine for a home shop. Now that you have one coming your way, I strongly suggest checking out Tubalcain's (Lyle Peterson) series of videos on Atlas/Craftsman lathes. Shop Tips #220-239 Actually, all of his videos are interesting, especially if you are new to machine work. Missing manuals can most likely be found on Keith Rucker's site Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

Mrpete222 is his other handle. Very good videos. Has lots of knowledge.

Thanks! Yeah, I've been watching that guy's videos for years. He's a wealth of knowledge for sure. I also found a pdf of the operation manual too.

Ain't that the truth. Luckily, the guy I'm buying it from has a tractor to load it in my pickup with. It'll be fun getting it out, I'm sure.
Im moving my 9” from one building to another, its quite a task. And dont want to drop it.

If it's mounted to a workbench, Mark all the shims and keep em in the right spots so it's easier to re level it.

I've got a couple Import lathes... Neither is "Small" but one is kinda small at 12x36... The other wouldn't seem much bigger since it's only a 14x40.... But the 12x36 is about 1000 lbs... And the 14x40 is 5000 lbs... So yeah, big difference...

I'd like a good American made lathe but these imports just
IMG_6898.jpg
seem to fall in my lap....

-
Back