Anyone have any idea what rear end this is?

-

ToastToAlmost

Reaction score
I was always curious as to what type of rear end this is. I can't find any numbers stamped on it anywhere or anything.

139.jpg

Yep, early 8 1/4". The vent tube on the right (passenger side) of the center section is a dead giveaway.

Whats very mild? and what kind of street driven? Spirited or granywith an attitude?:burnout:

Whats very mild? and what kind of street driven? Spirited or granywith an attitude?:burnout:

Mild as in a stock 440 out of a 77 RV, but I'm thinking more granny with an attitude. 8)

I've done a little googling on the 8-1/4 rear end and it seems they came in a wide variety of different vehicles. What would one wanna get when it comes to brakes for it? It has 10 inch drums. Rear ends and brakes aren't my forte, and apparently neither were they for the previous owner, because when I got the car he told me he supposedly stuck 10 Inch E-body drums on it.

If this was the case how would it affect the car? I've noticed it's always been a little hard to push, and always wondered in the back of my mind if it had anything to do with the brakes...

Mild as in a stock 440 out of a 77 RV, but I'm thinking more granny with an attitude. 8)

I've done a little googling on the 8-1/4 rear end and it seems they came in a wide variety of different vehicles. What would one wanna get when it comes to brakes for it? It has 10 inch drums. Rear ends and brakes aren't my forte, and apparently neither were they for the previous owner, because when I got the car he told me he supposedly stuck 10 Inch E-body drums on it.

If this was the case how would it affect the car? I've noticed it's always been a little hard to push, and always wondered in the back of my mind if it had anything to do with the brakes...

10 inch drums will be fine. I'm pretty sure the part number for a 10" 74 Dart 8 1/4 rear is the same as a 10" Challenger R/T drum with front disk brakes and 8 3/4. Confirm with www.rockauto.com

Whats wrong with the vent tube? Im plannning on swapping a rear just like this on the Duster.

I don't think he was saying there's anything wrong with it, he just meant that the vent tube is one thing that made it easily identifiable as an 8-1/4.

If you want to upgrade the brakes for it you can always go boneyard hopping for a cop car/taxi M-body (I point this out just for ease of reference and ID in a junkyard) and grab the 11" backing plates for it and then do the upgrade from there using new parts from the local parts store. Just a thought.

-
Back