Anyone have any regrets from their past

-
The one regret I have is not joining the Navy. I am very appreciative of the life I have now. If I had joined the Navy, my life today would be very different, so there is some degree of "unknown" there too. Most of my family members are Navy veterans. One of my grandmothers was a Navy Wave in WW2.

Very good question, regrets, none, except for the pain I caused my parents while I was growing up.

I sometimes have to wonder if God has some sort of plan for us. maybe we don't recognize it: been too many times I could touch death closeup. but still here. I better figure it out before I run out of time!????

I have tons of regrets, but I also have tons of other great things that came along as a result of the changes in my life BECAUSE OF THOSE REGRETS that I got to experience.

Only one regret that still bothers me a bit on a regular basis: I feel like I should have married an old girlfriend who died from leukemia at the age of 30. She loved me with all her heart and I told her I wasn't really sure if she was the right one for me. She was beautiful and had a young daughter too, whose dad was a true piece of ****. She got diagnosed about a month after I broke it off with her and we remained friends til the end but she didn't want me to come back to her only because she was sick. Sitting with her daughter and all of her family at her funeral was the hardest thing I have ever went through even though they all treated me great and told me how much they all loved me for the time I spent with her and how happy I had made her before she got sick. I can't even begin to describe the level of guilt I still feel from time to time. More like I feel like I was too selfish perhaps. The young girls dad eventually signed over his rights as a parent to my girlfriend's parents who ended up raising her in a very loving home.

There you have it... That was back in 2001.

having feelings of guilt just indicates your character, your good character. perhaps it just wasn't meant to be. having close friends is what life is about, be they men or women. you were close friends.
many years ago I had a girl I dated few times, we were friends. a beautiful person, inside and out. easy to tell. but I was trying to get thru college, the war loomed on, had no money to date.
she married and was living in Africa ( of all place). of of the blue, dies at age 35, no autopsy, husband immediately had her remains cremated. her dad was BIG believer is life insurance for all the family. all very suspicious.
I still think to this day, I made a huge mistake in not pursuing her. I too have guilt feelings every time I think of her, which is often. maybe I shouldn't , but I do. maybe it was God plan??

I think about this all of the time and I can honestly say I have nothing I truely regret. I have been put in ALOT of crapy situations and I always come out better for it. When I lost my best friend in April it was one of the best/worst things ever. I went through a really really hard time dealing with the images of what I saw and still do but there is nothing else I could have done. Ever since then I do my absolute best to live my life to the fullest.

I hear stories about how people wished they would have done something so now when a opportunity presents itself I take it.

Ever since college I wanted to go on a big trip out west. After Tyler died I realized anytime is the best time so I started saving and in October I flew out to Colorado by myself and spent a week in the mountains and blew a ton of money. One of the best weeks of my life and I owe it all entirely to my dead best friend.

Now there are little things I would go back and do differently like maybe ask a girl out or stroke my small block instead of just rebuilding it. Those things are not important at all now though.

My word of advice for all the people with loads of regrets is to do it all...legally!

You will always make more money, you can always find another job, you can always sell or buy another hot rod but make time to do the things you want!

Currently I am saving up money to head to LA and Vegas to visit a old friend. Will I come back with enough money to keep having fun right away? NO WAY. But I'll get
Back to work and save up some more.

I know all that sounds cheesey but there is a reason the quote "seize the day" is so popular boys!

I hear stories about how people wished they would have done something so now when a opportunity presents itself I take it.

Yup! That is kind of how i have tried to do things for most of my life.
I don't have any regrets for the things I tried at and failed, only the things I have not yet made the time to try!

Planning a little "adventure trip" myself, for January!

I just realized I didn't even address the things I have done and regret. I can't think of anything at the moment. Maybe not being so kind to some people.

Of course ... everybody does. I call them the "would'a, could'a, should'a's"

Yeah, this haunts me often...

Two different girls I knew in middle and high school. Very different to one another, one was a quiet nice girl who cared to make good grades. While the other was brash, loud, and could care less about school.

Quiet girl was a skinny blonde, while the loud girl was a thicker brunette and I was attracted to both. Although it wasn't until my senior year in high school did I get to talk to either of them, found out that both were interested in me.

The brunette was dating a friend of mine at the time, while the blonde was being pursued by another friend of mine at the time. So I didn't do much to pursue either one, but for either there was something there.

Wasn't until 7 years later after high school, I ran into both of them out and about. Which allowed me to reconnected with them both.

The blonde was single, but the brunette was seeing someone. I figured this was my time, I asked the blonde out on a date, she accepted and I asked the brunette to come have dinner with me too but "as friends".

I spent a couple months dating the blonde, while also seeing the brunette but all that time she was technically still with the guy she was officially seeing at the time.

One night having dinner with the blonde, I came to the conclusion that she was too nice for me and I was not good enough for her. We dated but nothing serious because I was more into the not single brunette so I broke it off. Never really gave her a good reason other than I was no good.

Well I focused on trying to get the brunette to leave her "boyfriend" and that didn't happen.

So all in all I missed out on a really nice girl who liked me for me, and she might not have been more attractive than the brunette but she would have been a great girl to marry... To make a life with.

Sadly not something I thought about all those years ago, but haunts me now.

Through facebook, I saw that the blonde ended up marrying a much older man and seems happy. Then the brunette did marry the guy she was dating who was the guy I was trying to get her to leave to be with me. She also seems happy, either way I screwed up.

So other than that one, wish I would have applied myself more in school, wish I would have been smarter with the money I have made, and wish I could have been a better person to people growing up.

Thank you everyone for sharing! I hope that none of you are totally kicking yourself for you past mistakes. Like stated in many of the posts, things happen for a reason. Someone has a plan for us and we dont know what that is. We are the only ones in control of our lives and how we handle it. Live your life to the fullest!

Yeah, this haunts me often...

Two different girls I knew in middle and high school. Very different to one another, one was a quiet nice girl who cared to make good grades. While the other was brash, loud, and could care less about school.

Quiet girl was a skinny blonde, while the loud girl was a thicker brunette and I was attracted to both. Although it wasn't until my senior year in high school did I get to talk to either of them, found out that both were interested in me.

The brunette was dating a friend of mine at the time, while the blonde was being pursued by another friend of mine at the time. So I didn't do much to pursue either one, but for either there was something there.

Wasn't until 7 years later after high school, I ran into both of them out and about. Which allowed me to reconnected with them both.

The blonde was single, but the brunette was seeing someone. I figured this was my time, I asked the blonde out on a date, she accepted and I asked the brunette to come have dinner with me too but "as friends".

I spent a couple months dating the blonde, while also seeing the brunette but all that time she was technically still with the guy she was officially seeing at the time.

One night having dinner with the blonde, I came to the conclusion that she was too nice for me and I was not good enough for her. We dated but nothing serious because I was more into the not single brunette so I broke it off. Never really gave her a good reason other than I was no good.

Well I focused on trying to get the brunette to leave her "boyfriend" and that didn't happen.

So all in all I missed out on a really nice girl who liked me for me, and she might not have been more attractive than the brunette but she would have been a great girl to marry... To make a life with.

Sadly not something I thought about all those years ago, but haunts me now.

Through facebook, I saw that the blonde ended up marrying a much older man and seems happy. Then the brunette did marry the guy she was dating who was the guy I was trying to get her to leave to be with me. She also seems happy, either way I screwed up.

So other than that one, wish I would have applied myself more in school, wish I would have been smarter with the money I have made, and wish I could have been a better person to people growing up.

Just curious but how long ago was this?

I used I beat myself up about girls. I have a habit of dating girls and really falling for them when I know they are about to leave. I did this twice with girls from college and one that was leaving for the military. I always find another and have a good time before it gets bad lol.

:coffee2:Not so much-----Plenty to regret but none to dwell on. I regret trading in my 1962 Impala SS 409 4 speed car for a "Family car" (kids on the way) a 1966 Chevelle citizen mobile. I really regret having to sell my completed one-owner 1955 Bel Air 2D hardtop 327 4 speed that I built all the mechanicals, bodywork and paint! Gunmetal grey Imron paint. Had the 265 powerpac 3 speed OD in the corner of the garage. Got broke and needed rent & groceries for the family. Karma does pay us back though, now living the good life with a finished 65 Comet, a 67 Barracuda under construction and my wife of 49 years rooting for me to do my car deal all the time! Oh yeah and my 15 year old freshman granddaughter making her 4A varsity basketball team with a varsity letter already on the dresser from cross country. YAY!!!!:cheers:

Only thing I can cop to is more a "I wonder what would have happened if?" type of thing.
I had a couple of opportunity's in my life where my path had forks in the road. I've often wondered what would have happened if I had went to Korea instead of Germany? What would have happened if I went to Ft. Polk instead of Ft.Knox? Then there was a huge one that involved a girl and me both way to young and stupid. That one I'm sure I made the right choice on, but I still wonder.

I'll have to say no on regrets. Now if I could do it over knowing what I know now, I'd do a whole lot of crap differently. But the choices I made, made me who I am. And I kinda like how I turned out!

Haha classic. I have no tattoos and at the age of 24 it's sort of a random time to get one but I have been thinking really hard about it.

Could be my first true regret!!

I regret not speaking up and taking a stand against sexual harassment and bullying in the automotive program I went through at a community college.

There were very few girls in the program and most didn't last because it was hell. The dept. chair and lead instructor was a real jerk and put a blind eye to it because he was part of the problem. He would respond to complaints with stuff like "boys will be boys" or "that's what happens when a bunch of boys get together"

If I would have known what I know now, I could have put a stop to it by bringing it to the attention of higher school officials but at the time I didn't think of that and I was just trying to stay off the radar.

The only karma is a few years after, the problem was fired/resigned from the school. Some truthful people will say he was fired but his henchmen and himself will say he resigned. Funny how that works.

You could have had the entire program shut down and the teacher fired for that, Rani.

There have been times when I've let it slide, too, but you've got to remember that even though you were put down, it doesn't change who you are. You should stand up when you can, but picking your battles at the time is always priority. Sometimes, dealing with the problem is not confrontation, but rather, going above someone to an authority who will set things straight.

If they are in no position to help you, which you saw, clearly, the thing to do would be to contact the county superintendent or the nearest local news, to see real change.

I was a part of a trade school program that had hired a felon for a teacher. I knew about his past, because of someone unrelated to the school had informed me of a very violent act that he had committed over winter break. I asked the staff why he was teaching and they didn't even know of his record.

The news got involved and wanted an interview from me, but I refused, because I didn't want to get involved. I just wanted the problem to end and the publicity on the school was enough to can him. Unfortunately, he had done a lot of internal political things, like stealing school materials and such on the class hours and had the board of administration shut the entire class down.

Justice was served to him, but it was too late and had nothing to do with anything wrong that I did, I had only become aware of something that the staff didn't even know about. They should have checked his criminal background.

As far as my regrets go;

I've painted cars for free, I've had my bank account drained for thousands by family of my ex, I've had my trust broken for sure, but I like where I am, so I chalk it up and move on. Grudges don't help. Living it up does.

God can take away the guilt if we learn to honor him. That's what this season is all about JESUS

Just curious but how long ago was this?

I used I beat myself up about girls. I have a habit of dating girls and really falling for them when I know they are about to leave. I did this twice with girls from college and one that was leaving for the military. I always find another and have a good time before it gets bad lol.

Man think all of this was around 2007-2008, I graduated high school 2001 so yeah that is about right.

When I was younger time seemed to never go fast enough, but after turning 21 time goes by too fast. I have been in a funk for years, working long hours and my life revolving around going to work and then just going home. I haven't met anyone new, and to be honest don't even feel up to it. I used to have too many friends to hang out with, and now I am lucky to spend time with just one.

Funny how things change I guess.

Life sure has thrown many curves at most of us, and now in my mid 50's, I actually have accepted that things just are what they are...

I did regret the collapse of my first marriage, but after a few years, I realized it would have never worked long term, although I did get three beautiful children out of it. Plus, I would have never met the absolute love of my life for the last 26+ years if I'd have tried to force it to work.

From a automotive standpoint, I could absolutely beat my brains out for all the cars I owned and sold, not to mention all the available rides in the 70's I passed on. The two that to this day still make me ill are a ... 44k mi. 1970 Charger R/T for $600 & a 1970 35k mi. "real" Hemi Cuda that had a replacement 440RB in it for $1800. Then there's all the 340 A bodies around for less then a Grand. :banghead:

-
Back